Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Model Railroading > Another approach………...

Date: 06/29/16 13:58
Another approach………...
Author: engine3420

Building some locomotives the past couple of months with reasonable success except for the headlites.  Was using some Pico surface mount LED's.  I like the way they light up with a golden glow look after adding some yellow tint to them but I just did not like the looks when they were off........so I tried something different.
I left the inside of the headlite it's natural brass finish, then  very carefully glued a MV small clear lens # 700 to the middle of the light to represent a bulb and then added a Detail Assc. plastic flat lenz to the front............I think it looks better than the LED.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/16 14:13 by engine3420.

Date: 06/29/16 18:20
Re: Another approach………...
Author: tomstp

Very nice.  You know you can make your own lens for headlights.  Get clear plastic sheets and get some leather punches of different sizes.  Place the plastic on a board and hit the punch with a hammer and it will cut a nice round piece. Put a small amount of elmers glue (which dries clear) in there and place the lens in the headlight and you are finished.  I also use that on constant lights.

Date: 06/30/16 17:48
Re: Another approach………...
Author: Frisco1522

I have used a method of finishing headlights for probably 40 years now.  I have a bag of cotton swabs with wood shanks and the can of Brasso that I bought in basic training back in '63.
I cut off the shank of the cotton swab to where its only about an inch long, put it in my Dremel tool, dampen the cotton with the Brasso and polish the heck out of the reflector in the headlight casting.  I didn't use bulbs in them until I started DCC.   They look plenty authentic to mee without a bulb or when the light is off.  This tender has a bulb in it and when they are lighted give off a great golden glow look.  I use enough reisistance in the bulb line that it isn't at full brilliance.  Bulbs last longer that way too.
Back when I had access to machines and reamers, I made some punches and dies for cutting lenses out of plastic.   I use Future floor polish to secure them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/16 17:50 by Frisco1522.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds