Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Model Railroading > Q: B&O S-1 "streamlined" cattle car

Date: 07/20/16 21:11
Q: B&O S-1 "streamlined" cattle car
Author: BN7023

This is a model by OMI/Ajin. Anyone knows when the prototype was manufactured, the reason for cutout parallelograms, and the relationship between the similar form K9 of PRR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/16 21:12 by BN7023.

Date: 07/21/16 04:36
Re: Q: B&O S-1 "streamlined" cattle car
Author: hogheaded

They were re-purposed X29-style boxcars, it appears. B&O was pretty good at that sort of thing. The Cincinnatian's streamline consist, for instance, was rebuilt from old heavyweight equipment, and whomever designed the make-over had some real artistic talent - maybe the guy who "streamlined" this livestock car (which appears to be a double-decker). Certainly a conversation piece.

EO

Date: 07/21/16 05:29
Author: Robertjohndavis

The guy who designed The Cincinnatian was actually a lady named Olive Dennis. She was an innovator in passenger railroading.

Rob

hogheaded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were re-purposed X29-style boxcars, it
> appears. B&O was pretty good at that sort of
> thing. The Cincinnatian's streamline consist, for
> instance, was rebuilt from old heavyweight
> equipment, and whomever designed the make-over had
> some real artistic talent - maybe the guy who
> "streamlined" this livestock car (which appears to
> be a double-decker). Certainly a conversation
> piece.
>
> EO

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/21/16 08:23
Author: train544

Hi
Those types of cars plus other styles used to come into my hometown Grafton W Va and when theybcame in across the Tygart river
bridge by the locomotive shop there were some shop rews that had to get out the fire hose and spray water into those cars especially when loaded with pigs
I watched them do this in the 1950s
Tom Boylan

Date: 07/21/16 08:54
Author: EH49

Some of the cars were in a much snazzier paint scheme.... blue, black, grey with yellow striping, much like cab units.

Date: 07/22/16 13:48
Dear Athearn, Bowser, BLMA, Tangent, Exactrail, ScaleTrains, etc.
Author: Sasquatch

Rail cars I'd be very interested in buying: this one!

Thanks!

-Tom

Date: 07/22/16 17:54
Author: dlh

One of these real cars used to sit on a side track in Hammond, Indiana behind a metal treating factory. You could clearly see the car from the Indiana Toll Road. If westbound it was off to the right just before the road crossed over Columbia Av. Got curious and walked down in there in the late 80's to take a photo which is somewhere in my vast collection of slides. Google Earth shows it's no longer there. Anyone know where it got to? Car was blue and gray.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1298 seconds