Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Model Railroading > Horizon/Athearn MAP?

Date: 07/22/16 08:34
Horizon/Athearn MAP?
Author: tracklight

Athearn must be enforcing their MAP price policy now?  I've seen at least two large online retailers raise their Athearn prices to the ridiculous MAP prices recently.  Anybody know what is up?

Date: 07/22/16 11:35
Re: Horizon/Athearn MAP?
Author: fbe

Perhaps Horizon/Athearn has reduced the mark up margins to the point there is no room for dealer discounts.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/22/16 11:56
Author: NSTopHat

Athearn / Horizon's MAP (Manufacturer's Advertised Pricing) requirements state that any dealer who publicly advertises / publishes Athearn products (print, email, e-Bay, website) must use the MAP pricing as a required minimum price in the advertisment. I have had a dealer tell me that while they advertise at the MAP price, it does not mean that the price I buy it at has to be at that price. Meaning that there is no more low ball advertising in the hobby.

Hope this helps, read between the lines as you please.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 07/22/16 12:44
Author: Larry020

I received an email from an online seller that explained that the amount he pays is now higher, so as NS pointed out, the days of super discounts from Horizon are over.  I believe the enforcement of MAP started at least one year ago, if not more.

Larry

Date: 07/22/16 13:16
Author: tracklight

Specifically, two retailers jacked up the price on the newest release SD70/M/75M to $30 over what they had previously listed them at for the first week or so after arrival.  One even went so far as to show "MAP price" on the new price, as if to blame Athearn for the increase.  Something must have changed?

Date: 07/22/16 13:22
Author: toledopatch

tracklight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Specifically, two retailers jacked up the price on
> the newest release SD70/M/75M to $30 over what
> they had previously listed them at for the first
> week or so after arrival.  One even went so far
> as to show "MAP price" on the new price, as if to
> blame Athearn for the increase.  Something must
> have changed?

Maybe Horizon got wind of their lower price listing and warned them about violating the MAP policy, which was indeed announced some time ago.

Date: 07/22/16 14:38
Author: Frank30

If I am not mistaken, MAP means MINIMUM Advertised Price, the manufacturer will normally tell the dealers what the Minimum Advertised Price should
be on each item.  The dealers is obligated to follow this "Suggestion" or they could get cut off as a dealer.  What the final selling price is IS another thing.
It can be sold for a lower price, it just can't be advertised at anything below the MAP.  Correct me if I am wrong.  SoundTraxx has been doing this for a
number of years.  Centerline Products insists that their trackcleaning cars be sold at full retail price!
Frank30

Date: 07/22/16 15:18
Author: toledopatch

That's exactly what MAP means. The purpose is to keep discounters from publicly and steeply undercutting the manufacturer's suggested retail prices, although it's pretty well known that anyone who buys significant volumes of model trains seeks at least a 15% discount off list, and more if it can be found.

Date: 07/23/16 05:33
Author: bioyans

Anyone who dabbles in higher end camera gear, is very familiar with manufacturer's MAP policies.  That's why the big photo dealers nearly all list at the same price, unless they are selling "grey market" (overseas market-intended pieces imported to the US) equipment.  Discounts can still be had, even with MAP pricing ... just have to work a bit harder to find them.

Date: 07/23/16 08:43
Author: BAB

And since buying grey market you will not have any warranty either learned years back buying camera equipment and didnt do it.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone who dabbles in higher end camera gear, is
> very familiar with manufacturer's MAP policies. 
> That's why the big photo dealers nearly all list
> at the same price, unless they are selling "grey
> market" (overseas market-intended pieces imported
> to the US) equipment.  Discounts can still be
> had, even with MAP pricing ... just have to work a
> bit harder to find them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds