Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Abandoned track

Date: 07/24/16 11:07
Abandoned track
Author: inCHI

When I planned and built this area I didn't have any abandoned track in mind, but the idea came to mind and I crammed some in; it adds something else to look at under the bridge. I remember spots I used to wander around with rusty rails in dirt under bridges, and in this case, I mostly used dirt from a nearby park as the ground cover under the bridge. The concrete bridge segments were cast from some simple/crude styrene molds I made.

Date: 07/24/16 11:26
Re: Abandoned track
Author: BobP

Good thinking.

Date: 07/24/16 12:22
Author: march_hare

Nice spalled concrete. Really like that. 

Date: 07/24/16 12:37
Author: TCnR

Looks great.

Someone had the idea to build a Walthers bascule bridge at the edge of the Layout and then add a removed switch and abandoned track leading to it. Very prototypical in many areas.

Date: 07/24/16 12:50
Author: ghemr

Until now, I have never seen such great workmanship to portray an urban environment in HO (or any) scale!!!!

Date: 07/24/16 13:54
Author: inCHI

CSX_ENG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until now, I have never seen such great
> workmanship to portray an urban environment in HO
> (or any) scale!!!!

Thanks! It has been fun to dig through photo references and try to get particular features to come out. But I'm always thinking of more that could be crammed into it, but the question is time...

Date: 07/24/16 14:14
Author: Jimmies

You`re capturing the feel of what looks to be an area that I know I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable walking around at night, yet I'd like to see more. Great modelling.

Jim

Date: 07/24/16 17:34
Author: toledopatch

The distressed concrete looks especially realistic.

I do suggest, however, painting the rail ends on your abandoned track a deep rusty brown. Also maybe paint some darker black areas on the pavement leading toward the abandone track, to suggest patched pavement where the rails were removed there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/16 06:30 by toledopatch.

Date: 07/25/16 04:53
Author: RGDave

Well done!

~RGDave

Date: 07/26/16 07:09
Author: JUTower

Agreed! Really great.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds