Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Quick scenery tip...

Date: 09/18/16 00:17
Quick scenery tip...
Author: markloos

Hi guys. I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up some flowers for my wife and while I was there I found a small approx. 6”x 12” piece of “fun fur” for $2.95.  Took it home, cut off a small piece, cropped it way down with the scissors, smeared some water diluted green paint around on it with my finger and then fluffed it up a bit.  Whole process took under 5 minutes. Dropped it on the layout and snapped this photo.  Looks pretty good – even with this close up within several inches.   Probably not as good as the real static grass might look but, this is REALLY quick which counts a lot in my book, as I have a VERY short interest span when doing scenery.  Now I need to go find an HO scale snake for the grass.  ;-)
​Keep your rails shiny!  Mark   <><

Date: 09/18/16 01:56
Re: Quick scenery tip...
Author: calsubd

Looks good from here, do you think dog clippers would work to trim it ?

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 09/18/16 04:51
Author: Stormtrooper49

Looks really good.

Date: 09/18/16 04:52
Author: rschonfelder

If you have a short attention span for scenery, how did you do such a great job on the ballast? 

Rick

Date: 09/18/16 05:10
Author: DKay

Loooks terrific.Attended a clinic run by the late Paul Scholes at a narrow gauge convention some years ago.He mad extensive use of similar material on his Sn3 masterpiece.I think it was called The Pelican Bay & Navigation Co RR.
Regards,DK

Date: 09/18/16 06:28
Author: Frisco1522

I think Ken Patterson uses(d) this too for some of his scenes.

Date: 09/18/16 09:52

Guys, thanks for the kind words.  Ed, I don't have any dog clippers so can't offer any advice about that.  I just used a pair of everyday scizzors that I purchased at the drug store. Just started chopping away. ​Rick, the balisting is still quick and easy for me. I just spoon on some Woodland Scenics ballist, spread and shape it with my finger, wet it down with 91% alcohol from CVS, let it dry for several hours and I'm back to runnin' trains.  Mark  <><

Date: 09/18/16 10:09
Author: MojaveBill

Looks like dried weeds to me - realistic!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/18/16 11:43

Oooops!   missed a step on the ballisting. After wetting with alcohol, I then drizzel WS Scenic Cement on.  The alcohol breaks the surface tension so the Scenic Cement does not ball up. This should be applied while the alcohol is still wet and THEN allowed to dry for several hours. Mark  <><

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3087 seconds