Home Open Account Help 192 users online

Model Railroading > The 2016 Penn Central - Other Contemporary Power

Date: 09/23/16 10:15
The 2016 Penn Central - Other Contemporary Power
Author: navarch2

I may have posted different views of these over time but just in case, here are some "modern" 2016 PC power shots.....

Picture 1 is an SD80MAC from PC group 4550-4599

Picture 2 is a C44 from PC group 4900-4979

Picture 3 is an SD40-2 from PC group 6400-6499 and 600-699.

Bob

Date: 09/23/16 10:23
Re: The 2016 Penn Central - Other Contemporary Power

....and some rolling stock......

Picture 1 - 60 foot boxcar....close to an X61F

Picture 2 -  A PC Auto-Max articulated auto carrier...(for my purposes, "CRLE" is also a PC company the lreporting mark standing for "Central Rail Leasing".)

Picture 3 - A PC Mechanical refrigerator car that works in a PC/UP pool..

Bob

Date: 09/23/16 10:27

....nad a little more power....

Picture 1  -  St LAwrence Yard engine house goat #10

Picture 2 - The beginnings of a PC 3-window SD60M

Picture 3 - the 2016 PC's only C420 - #2089

Thats it for today :)

Bob

Date: 09/23/16 11:32
Author: boejoe

Too bad the real PC didn't add a yellow stripe around the frame - it would have helped break up the monotony.

Date: 09/23/16 13:55
Author: EL-SD45-3632

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad the real PC didn't add a yellow stripe
> around the frame - it would have helped break up
> the monotony.

I have to disagree, the yellow sill stripe looks hideous and out of place. Just my opinion. 

Date: 09/23/16 14:18
Author: fs321a

Looks good Bob

Jon in Az

Posted from Android

Date: 09/23/16 17:43
Author: DrLoco

it may look hideous and out of place to some, but I think it's a nice way to spruce up the PC Black. In addition, giving the "2016" current nature of the railroad he is modeling, He'd need yellow frame stripes (or reflectors) to comply with FRA regulations. The FRA rule specifically calls for yellow "Retroreflectorive sheeting" to be used on ALL applications, except where white material has already been applied.  
Even the mighty UP had to stop using their Red scotchlite stripes (which they had used since the 1960's) and go to yellow ones on the sill for this reason as well.  NS, as well as CP/Soo are two of the of the users of the less common "white stripe" treatment. ALmost everyone else has gone to the Yellow stripes.  
SO, in short, if he were going to avoid the HO-scale fine from his HO scale Preiser FRA man, he did the right thing by making the sill stripes yellow!

Date: 09/23/16 17:54
Author: BCutter

Besides -- he may be a closet Pittsburgh Steelers fan or the University of Iowa or Purdue or...and showing his team colors, albeit in a clandestine manner!  Remember -- he is located in the shadow of the Patriots and has to be careful not to arouse the locals!  And since he is modeling 2016, he has to be in compliance with FRA! 

Bruce (the other one)

Date: 09/23/16 19:44

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
> boejoe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Too bad the real PC didn't add a yellow stripe
> > around the frame - it would have helped break
> up
> > the monotony.
>
> I have to disagree, the yellow sill stripe looks
> hideous and out of place. Just my opinion. 

You're entitled to it - as for me I like it better than thee units I have with a white one - so we'll do what UP did, have both :) Given the units had yellow rails in the real world, someone must have thought yellow looked good :)

Bob

Date: 09/23/16 19:53

You're entitled to it - as for me I like it better than the units I have with a white one - so I'll keep both and be legal :) Given the units had yellow rails in the real world, someone must have thought yellow looked good :) 

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 20:02 by navarch2.

Date: 09/23/16 20:57
Author: Kemacprr

Very nice Bob. I enjoy the more colorfull PC !!!  ---  Ken 

Date: 09/24/16 06:53

Kemacprr Wrote:
> Very nice Bob. I enjoy the more colorfull PC !!!
>  ---  Ken 

Strangely enough I never liked the Red P and Orange C logos at all....you and I discussed once how a dulux gold logo and lettering like on the passenger cars might look and I may try that with one of the two business trains I've assembled. A fellow I used to communicate with on the old Atlas forum, sent me a nice GP15 he had done for his freelance PC road and it had a dulux gold short hood....looks pretty nice....I'll post some images of it soon. 

Bob

Date: 09/26/16 07:53
Author: puddlejumper

I like the thin yellow/gold stripe (a la 4563, 6675) as it is just the right amount of yellow to look really good.   The ones with the full painted sills (4922, 6489, 2089) don't look as nice in my opinion, too much yellow.  Maybe they were painted at an ex-NYC facility, didn't NYC do painted side sills?  But you didnt ask for my opinion.  I have been following your posts, I really like your interpretation of a modern PC and am excited to see some more of your work.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds