Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > n-scale flex track laying tips needed

Date: 10/14/16 10:39
n-scale flex track laying tips needed
Author: goneon66

my main line will be peco flex track with concrete ties.  the curves will be approx. 29" radius.  while i am awaiting the arrival of my resistance soldering system, i have a few questions:

1.  since i have large radius curves, should i "pre-solder" the flex track sections and then lay and secure the track?

2.  or, should i lay and secure the flex track, cut the ends so that they are even on the curves, and then solder the track ends together as i move along?

3.  also, i am using peco "insulfrog" turnouts.  from what i know, i need to solder feeder in front of the switch points (facing point).  are there any tips regarding soldering and peco insulfrog turnouts that other modelers have used? 

i haven't soldered flex track or turnouts in years so ANY input/advice is appreciated..............

Date: 10/14/16 15:28
Re: n-scale flex track laying tips needed
Author: AZSP

Pre-solder where you have joints on curves if you can.     29" radius will be less susceptible to slight "kinks" though.   Also, I would suggest a feeder soldered to each rail on the bottom prior to installing the track.   That will provide the best connectivity and the feeders will not be visible.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds