Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido New Haven Passenger Car

Date: 10/20/16 09:34
Rapido New Haven Passenger Car
Author: kecarden

Last night I pull apart the New Haven Rapido 8600 passenger car to get started to weather the car. You have to be very careful pulling the shell off, also if you need to remove the trucks you have to unsolder the connection on the led board for the passenger lights in order to remove the trucks. And you have to be very careful pulling the wire's throught the hole due to the fact how the wiring is treaded in the car. Forgive me for the bad lighting, I still have a lot of work to do on the car. I want to model the cars the way I use to see them during the last years in service with the worn-out roof and dusty windows. Trying to stimulate with using light powders on the windows to test it out to see how it would come out

Date: 10/20/16 11:32
Re: Rapido New Haven Passenger Car
Author: kecarden

One more photo

Date: 10/20/16 11:47
Author: march_hare

I will be trying to do the same thing with Rapido RDCs when they come out in a few months.  Did you try to tint any of the windows?  A lot of PC cars seemed to have greenish tinted windows in that time period.

Date: 10/20/16 18:12
Author: rschonfelder

I do not know anything about the New Haven but are those steps correct on that car?  It just seems logical that the see through tread would be where one steps and the back plate would be the solid bit. 

Not criticisising; just wondering since it was a first glance notice.

Rick

Date: 10/21/16 02:56
Author: calsubd

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not know anything about the New Haven but are
> those steps correct on that car?  It just seems
> logical that the see through tread would be where
> one steps and the back plate would be the solid
> bit. 
>
> Not criticisising; just wondering since it was a
> first glance notice.
>
> Rick

Rick, curiosity got me so I went to Rapido's web site and the pic on their site shows the steps covered,   http://rapidotrains.com/category/ho-scale/ho-passenger-cars/ , so I'm thinking he hasn't installed the cover yet, Ed

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 10/21/16 06:22
Author: tmurray

The steps are correct. 
8600 coach MBTA
That's one of cars later in life, in serviec for the T.

The steps were fixed in the lowered position once the skirting was removed. The isisimilar to what Amtrak did on their "Horizon" cars.  When ordered, they had fold up step traps, just like the Amfleet. After an early overhaul, they removed the ability to fold them up, and they're welded in place.

-Tom

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not know anything about the New Haven but are
> those steps correct on that car?  It just seems
> logical that the see through tread would be where
> one steps and the back plate would be the solid
> bit. 
>
> Not criticisising; just wondering since it was a
> first glance notice.
>
> Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/16 06:25 by tmurray.

Date: 10/21/16 16:52
Author: navarch2

I rode these for many years commuting on PC into Boston, and one issue they had was when they went to two-pane windows made of plastics for the "glass"....these were always full of condensation or the plastic would develop a kind of "haze" to it....you pretty much could not see out of them.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds