Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Ah loggin' we will go.......

Date: 10/21/16 10:10
Ah loggin' we will go.......
Author: funnelfan

Another project that has been a long time in coming are log loads for my fleet of Rivarossi log cars. Years ago I asked a guy who had some nice looking log loads for sale on Ebay how he made them. He said he took wood dowel cut to length. Then smeared wood glue on the outside and rolled them in dried tea leaves. After looking at color photos of various log loads, I stained my wood dowels reddish brown before cutting to length. Now to figure out some tea leaves.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/21/16 11:08
Re: Ah loggin' we will go.......
Author: DKay

Coming along nicely Ted.Hadnt heard of the Tea leaves method before.I see some beautiful trees /logs at the narrow gauge convention each year.Most methods are pretty labour intensive.
Regards,DK

Date: 10/21/16 12:01
Author: wjpyper

I use real logs, cut from trees and bushes in my yard in Salem, OR.
Bill Pyper

Date: 10/21/16 15:55
Author: wingomann

The tea leaf idea sounds great!  Please post your results when yo get it done.

Date: 10/21/16 15:57
Author: icancmp193

I like the backyard method too. Generally use oak "twigs".

Tom Y

Date: 10/22/16 05:11
Author: brfriedm

I would go the natural route also. They look like Lionel logs. Good luck. Bruce

Date: 10/23/16 19:15
Author: TCnR

This looks pretty good, I have a backyard full of them. Any extra processing to keep them from crumbling all over the layout?

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the backyard method too. Generally use oak
> "twigs".
>
> Tom Y

Date: 10/24/16 16:11
Author: funnelfan

The problem with the "natural route" is that it's exceedingly difficult to find a twig that is straight between joints and long enough of the right size to work. The examples shown here of natural logs look nothing like the logs I need for my log cars, too small, curved, and too light colored of bark to work. Furthermore the acutal logs of the period (1900-1960) were often dragged through the brush, over other logs and against trees. It was common for half the bark to be removed by the time it was loaded on a log car, exposing a rusty red standed wooden core inside.  The color pic below shows the look I'm going for.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/24/16 17:58
Author: TCnR

Yep, to bark or not to bark. Really depends on the area, what type tree, what type business.

Here's what I was thinking of, athough there are other situations:

Logging Train in Northern British Columbia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19tugri8Yc

nope, not my Video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/16 17:59 by TCnR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds