Author: PeachFuzz

SD70 Standard Cab (NS, Conrail, IC)
We didn't mention the SD70 standard cab in the last Athearn News, so
we received some inquiries about the status of this project. The
latest ETA ('estimated" time of arrival) of the standard cab 70's is
now Spring 2001. 'Estimated' is just that . . . . . 'estimated'. We
have people working on the SD70 standard cab, and we'll have it out
as soon as possible. We know many of you are anxiously awaiting these
models and we are trying the best we can to expedite this process.

GRRRRR..........

Date: 11/13/00 17:39
RE: Athearn Standard Cab SD70 News
Author: jwchenard

By then, I'll have so many Lifelike SD60's, I won't need 'em...

Date: 11/15/00 16:16
Author: BCM

Does anybody out there still believe ANY scheduled delivery date mentioned by Athearn? I certainly don't!!! I have heard FAR TO MANY projected dates for Athearn delivery of newly announced products that I feel like slapping all of the seemingly nice Athearn reps that I've heard the lies from...

Athearn included that line in their newsletter for TWO reasons. (1) They have MANY disgruntled past customers that they are trying to lure back with false production dates and, (2) they are HOPING that a few people will save their money for the Athearn SD70s instead of buying the higher quality, better pulling, DELIVERED ON SCHEDULE, Proto 2000 SD60s... If Athearn loses SD70 sales to Proto (SD60s) then they have nobody to blaim except themselves. They had a TWO YEAR head start on Proto in the modern EMD loco market and STILL couldn't beat them... TWO YEARS!!!

Those conventional cab SD70 units were projected for "spring 1999"... then "summer 1999"... then "by Christmas" 1999... then "early 2000"... then (in July) "by the end of the year"... and now "spring 2001"!!! Does anybody out there actually believe that???

It is time for Athearn to actually produce what has been announced and make no more new product announcements until they succeed in delivering AT LEAST A FEW of the MANY past announced and yet to be delivered products!!! In other words, the time has come for Athearn to "put up or shut up"...

- Curt Mc

Date: 11/15/00 16:54
Author: NM

When it comes to the SD70's, better late than never, I guess. Personally, I'm looking forward to it, since it's gonna be a better product than the disappointing P2k SD60. Sure, the detail on the SD60 is nice and buries the RPP, but with it's too-short nose, too-small sideframes with "curb feelers" (their pathetic attempt at sand lines), too-small corner steps, and the too-slow gearing that keeps it from running with other units, it wasn't as good as many were hoping it to be. At least I'll be able to MU the Athearn SD70's with the rest of my fleet.

-Nameless Modeler

Date: 11/19/00 12:29
Author: HOTSHOT

you know, this really bites the big one, I mean come on already. I set some like $250.00 aside for these particular units back when they first announced them. then i got tired of waiting and spent it on AC4400CW's. it has been almost 2 years and still nothing. I am VERY disappointed to say the least.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds