Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Help Finding Wire - Cloth Coated

Date: 11/27/16 19:45
Help Finding Wire - Cloth Coated
Author: sixaxlecentury

I am desperately trying to figure out with this stuff is.   It is a cloth/fabric covered aluminum (possibly copper) wire.   I have seen it in almost every color under the sun, all the same size.   It is around .032" overall diameter, and the inner aluminum wire is around .020".   I really would like to find this stuff by the roll.   I was able to get a few "sample" sized packs at a hobby shop, but thats all I have to work off of.   

Any help appreciated.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/16 21:14 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 11/27/16 21:08
Re: Help Finding Wire - Cloth Coated
Author: wabash2800

Do you really want that stuff? It is inferior to copper wire.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/27/16 21:14
Author: sixaxlecentury

I guess I should have mentioned, This is not even remotly for electrical purposes.  Its very handy for making things like fuel hoses, as you can put it in position, and it stays.   It is by far a craft item, not electrical.   

Date: 11/27/16 22:15
Author: up833

I think its thermocouple wire or at least similiar. Just google thermocouple wire.
Roger Beckett

Date: 11/28/16 00:46
Author: shortliner

For fuel hoses - look on ebay and buy heatshrink tubing from China - strip ordinary copper wire and fit the heat shrink over, then shrink it - works beautifully and,as you stay, stays in the position it is put in.

Date: 11/28/16 04:30
Author: HB90MACH

Mouser. Should have it

Date: 11/28/16 07:15
Author: tomstp

Search the web, there are many wire companies.

Date: 11/29/16 06:02
Author: BAB

Why not then jusb buy insualted wire of the size you need it comes in enough diffrend sizes to what is needed.
-------------------------------------------------------
> For fuel hoses - look on ebay and buy heatshrink
> tubing from China - strip ordinary copper wire
> and fit the heat shrink over, then shrink it -
> works beautifully and,as you stay, stays in the
> position it is put in.

Date: 11/29/16 08:34
Author: Lighter

> It is around .032" overall diameter, and
> the inner aluminum wire is around .020".
>   I was able to get a few "sample" sized packs at
> a hobby shop, but that's all I have to work off of.

No brand name?  No knowledge at the shop?  It's not electrical.  It's some sort of craft thing.  Jewelry, beading, flower arranging.  That sort of craft item where you need a bend to stay bent.  The wire is fairly large for that sort of craft.  The braid is very very nice and at that size isn't a cheap way to make a craft thing.  You might actually have to leave the house with a sample and wander around asking folks at these sorts of craft stores..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds