Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Thinning/Airbrushing Model Master Flat/Gloss/Semi-Gloss?

Date: 12/01/16 11:09
Thinning/Airbrushing Model Master Flat/Gloss/Semi-Gloss?
Author: aehouse

Coming back to the well of all knowledge for some more advice.

I am just now getting back into airbrushing after a long hiatus, and have ordered some bottles (not rattle cans) of Model Master Flat, Gloss, and Semi-gloss clear finishes.  They are not yet in hand, so I don't know much about what I'm dealing with in using them.

(1)  Do these need thinning (and with what) for airbursh application? ( I queried Testors via its website, and was referred to a bunch of gobblydegook about care of their proprietary airbrushes, which said only that all their paints and finishes should be thinned with "the correct" thinners, which I assume means Testors products.)

(2) I'm also unable to determine if these bottled finishes are water- or solvent-based.

Help!

Art House

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/16 11:37 by aehouse.

Date: 12/01/16 11:48
Re: Thinning/Airbrushing Model Master Flat/Gloss/Semi-Gloss?
Author: Bscale316

The "Model Master" name appears on bottles of enamel, lacquer, and acrylics. So I guess you need the bottle in hand.
The acrylics I have also say "Acryl", and the lacquer says "Custom Lacquer System".
HTH a little.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 12/01/16 11:52
Author: globalethanol

I thin Testor`s Modelmaster ACRYLICS with 5 drops of Original Windex to a 1/2 ounce bottle. Spray at 22-25 lbs. Sprays beautiful and dries fast with a hair dryer.

<http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4059947,4059947#msg-4059947&gt;

tom

Date: 12/01/16 13:00
Author: funnelfan

I use the Testors Lacquer dull coat and gloss coat and have thinned it with their "Thinner for Metalizer", although I would imagine some Lacquer thinner from the hardware store would work too (buy the low odor stuff).

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/01/16 15:31
Author: aehouse

Thanks for all the replies.

Art House

Date: 12/01/16 18:55
Author: obsessedfoamer

Any laquer thinner works fine

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds