Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Model Railroading > Keep alive in a MP15?

Date: 12/01/16 15:07
Keep alive in a MP15?
Author: suvart

I recently got an athearn genesis MP15AC with sound, but unfortuantely it dies on switches on my small layout. I opened it up to see if I could install a keep alive but there's barely any space in there. Has anyone put one in before? If so where did you put it?

Date: 12/01/16 15:52
Re: Keep alive in a MP15?
Author: sixaxlecentury

I have loksound, Aaron Heine stratolite a speaker and a keep alive in an Athearn Sw1500. It all fits fine, but you need to remove the cab interior unfortunately.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/16 15:53 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 12/01/16 20:03
Author: jburek

Take a look at TCS WOW Sound decoders - some of these decoders come with keep alives already on the decoder board which is great for locomotives with little space inside the shell.  They make decoders to fit specific models such as Atlas, Kato, Athearn, etc.

Date: 12/01/16 20:14
Author: Larry020

Travus 

Could you power your frogs instead?

Larry

Date: 12/01/16 22:39
Author: suvart

Larry, The switches are already glued down and jointed/soldered to the rest of the track, I could probably figure out a way to power the frogs but a keep alive seemed like the easiest solution. 

Date: 12/02/16 07:36
Author: Chestnut

TCS just released a wow decoder for a 645 non turbo which I'm going to replace in my MP15-1. I've about had it with it cutting in and out and my track work is flawless.
Matt

Date: 12/02/16 09:35
Author: stevenlsilva

Check your truck pickup athearns quality in truck pickup is the worst, if it dies on switches that's properly the issue.

Date: 12/02/16 14:46
Author: jmj3293

I have the same issues with my Athearn SD70ACEs. They all stall on the switches. What is a good way to fix the truck pickup?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/02/16 20:28
Author: EricSP

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a look at TCS WOW Sound decoders - some of
> these decoders come with keep alives already on
> the decoder board

Does it come with an option to play "Stayin' Alive"?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.316 seconds