Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for HO Tunnel Motors

Date: 12/03/16 09:49
Looking for HO Tunnel Motors
Author: philhoov

I'm interested in acquiring a couple of HO tunnel motor engines.
Can anyone tell me who has produced these and how best to find them for sale?
Insofar as I can tell, no one has offered them recently?
I'm looking for units with DCC/Sound installed.
Phil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/16 09:50 by philhoov.

Date: 12/03/16 09:53
Re: Looking for HO Tunnel Motors
Author: GN_X838

I found mine on Amazon.....Swede.....Albany,OR

Date: 12/03/16 09:58
Author: SPDRGWfan

Athearn has produced HO tunnel motors for the past 9 years in RTR from and with a good amount of detail, however, they don't come with DCC and/or sound installed.  They are DDC ready only but the prices are very reasonable - street prices around $99 - $115 approx.  The last run was March 2015 and Athearns website shows them still available:

http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=SD40T-2

If you want a Sound/DCC equipped HO tunnel motor, Intermountain is producing SD40T-2's and they will come both DCC ready (199.95) or equipped with Loksound (MRSP $299.95) and are due out in March 2017; keep checking as the expected shipping date has been pushed back a number of times - originally they were due out last summer 2016..

http://www.intermountain-railway.com/newshocomingsoon.html

Cheers, Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/16 10:00 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 12/03/16 10:10
Author: Hookdragkick

Check out www.Google.com and type in "HO Tunnel Motors".

Posted from Android

Date: 12/03/16 10:28
Author: CPR_4000

Date: 12/03/16 11:41

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Athearn also did the 45T-2's:
> http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchT
> erm=SD45T-2

Yep and show still in stock as well:

It just depends on what the OP is after.  The original ones were built starting 1972 (SD45T-2) for SP/SSW and 1974 (SD40T-2) for SP/SSW & D&RGW.  In later years they have been rebuilt and repainted in a number of successor owners and SP "speed" letter.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 12/03/16 11:51
Author: WAF

Lots of them show up on ebay

Date: 12/03/16 11:53
Author: tomstp

Just search H O  locomotives on ebay.  Then search sd40-t and you will find dozens of them very cheap.  Also search for sd45-t and you will get some more.

Date: 12/03/16 13:45
Author: TCnR

Be aware that there is the older 'Blue Box' SD40T-2 and the newer designed SD40T-2 and SD45T-2, checking Ebay they seem to be listed together, beware of the pricing as they are not the same beast. The newer design has a much better motor and is generally better detailed, although the BB version is very basic. The fastest spotting feature is the handrails, but there is a big difference in the motor and general performance with the newer design being better in many ways.

Date: 12/03/16 15:47
Author: philhoov

Thanks to everyone for your help.
I did find a number of RTRs online, obviously without DCC/sound.
From what I can tell, I would have around $125 to install a Tsunami decoder and speakers.
Does that sound right?
Problem is, I don't know how to install that stuff.
Maybe I should just wait for the Intermountain units to come out?
They have a Cotton Belt snoot coming next Spring (if that really happens) that will have DCC/sound @ $300 list price.
Do they sell thru anyone that offers better pricing than Intermountain's website?
Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/16 16:17 by philhoov.

Date: 12/03/16 16:49
Author: grahamline

That's a fairly straightforward engine to learn decoder/sound installing skills. Lots of room in the shell and convenient openings for sound at the back of the body shell.

Date: 12/03/16 16:56
Author: march_hare

Just bought two DRGW units from Trainworld in NYC. I'm using them for diorama photos only, so DCC isn't an issue. 

Their prices are are quite reasonable. 

Date: 12/03/16 17:21
Author: Fizzboy7

I have tons of Athearn RTR tunnel motors in stock and marked on sale.   Feel free to message me.

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center
Northridge, CA

Date: 12/04/16 09:32

Phil,

You may want to consider Loksound for your tunnel motor if you use after market sound. From what Ive heard they are amazing compared to Tsunami. Most of the major HO manufacturers have switched to Loksound including Intermountain, Atlas, Bowser and even Athearn most recently.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/16 13:18
Author: exhaustED

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> I have tons of Athearn RTR tunnel motors in stock
> and marked on sale.   Feel free to message me.
>
> Jason Eminian
> Smith Brothers Hobby Center
> Northridge, CA

Are all the SP ones with the L-window?

Date: 12/05/16 05:10

exhaustED Wrote:
>
> Are all the SP ones with the L-window?

The SP "speed letter" SD45T-2's (recently run) represent a 1990's version and does not have the L-shaped engineers windshield.  Same goes for the SP "speed letter" SD40T-2 produced in 2013 but sold out at Athearn.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 12/05/16 11:24
Author: fbe

Phil,

The newer Athearn locos are built for a quick and easy sound install at the factory so you will find a spot for the speaker already built into the frame. Just insert a round speaker and two wires and you are ready there.

You will have a choice of a plug in sound decoder which uses the Athearn mother board which will drop the decoder track voltage lighting to 1.5v for the installed Athearn bulbs. You will have to move the oscillating bulb wires around so they are not parallel to the headlights and do not have an oscillating function which will be on the decoder

Alternatively you can go with a drop in decoder which replaces the motherboard. These will have track voltage lighting but some can be modified by cutting traces or adding surface mount resistors for low voltage bulbs or less. The Tsunami GN series decoders have 1.5v outputs for Genesis (Athearn) units while their AT series Tsunamis have 3.3v for led lights on Atlas and other brands of units.

Things are getting a lot easier for DCC and sound. The Athearn RTR models are a good place to start.

Date: 12/05/16 22:10
Author: Fizzboy7

exhaustED Wrote:
> Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have tons of Athearn RTR tunnel motors in
> stock
> > and marked on sale.   Feel free to message me.
> >
> > Jason Eminian
> > Smith Brothers Hobby Center
> > Northridge, CA
>
> Are all the SP ones with the L-window?

Most have the L-window, but I also have three that do not.   Two SD45T-2's in SP speed lettering and one SD40T-2 kodachrome.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0685 seconds