Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > How do store locomotives?

Date: 12/27/00 20:44
How do store locomotives?
Author: danthetrainman

Hi, I have many kato and atlas locomotives that I have detailed and painted and they are very special to me but I do not have the time to run or use them now so how do I store them? The box is not a choice there is no space for the detail parts. Thank you for any info.

Date: 12/27/00 23:39
RE: How do store locomotives?
Author: fjcaron

This is something I got from a friend of mine, it's simple and easy. Get yourself a couple of unused athearn boxes, some foam from these boxes or from a craft store and some duct or masking tape. Pretty much use the bottom of the extra box to build an extension, using the tape to hold it in place, use the foam to prevent the loco from rocking, perhaps using a bit of plastic from a sanwich bag to protect the paint.

I'm sort of in the same situation, as I build the models I have limited space to store them due to lack of a layout and the need for safe packing when transporting to the club I belong to. Here's some photo links to explain what I'm talking about, hope this helps.

Date: 12/27/00 23:40
Author: fjcaron

Here's photo #2.

Date: 12/28/00 02:29
Author: tunnelmotor

I do not claim this as an original idea as I got it from someone else.

I use photocopy/printer paper boxes from the office - A4 size. Place the lid over the bootom of the box and with a sharp knife or scalpel, cut the main body of the box about 1/2 inch (or less) above the lid and, hey presto, you have a box with lid that will take 4 SDs or 5 GPs. I use the foam from the original loco box as packing around and between and indeed over the locos thus stored tight in their boxes.

A3 size paper boxes can be cut down in a similar fashion to provide a home for all those 89 foot autoracks and TOFCs.

So far this has proved very safe and accessible for storage and transportation to train shows or meets.

Date: 12/28/00 07:50
Author: winstonhill

Just a note: A4 and A3 paper sizes are European and are different from American letter and legal-size paper (they're a little longer and narrower than American sizes). Probably wouldn't make much difference in this application, but if that last loco doesn't quite fit, that's why.

Date: 12/28/00 08:41
Author: metallica

I found an idea several years back in a mag. of some sort.
Measure the loco/car to be stored and add about an inch all the way around.ie.a 7" car/loco would be 9",2" wide would be 4"and so on.
Next,using 1/2" plywood,build a box with the interior demintions to fit theise measurements.
Leave the lid and one of the ends seperate.Attach the top with hinges on one end and a hasp of sorts on the other end.Leave the end free and use hasps to attach it to both long sides.
It might not be a bad idea to put a piece of 1/2"x1/2" lumber in the corner of this opening on the box to help keep the original demintions.
Nail a piece of track in the box that goes from end to end,being flush with the open end.
Getting the loco/car into the box can be done a couple of ways...
One,you can just simply pick it up and place it in the box.(note:if you chose this method,you don't need the track to be the length of the box,just long enough for the loco.Also,the end left off to be attached with two hasps,can be attached with screws/nails.)
The second method(which I plan to do)is to locate a sutible place on the layout,(in your case,you might want to consider this for the future)run the track to the end of the layout and build a shelf to support the box(s).
Now you can simply run the loco/car into the box and never have to touch it.(if you do this,you'll have to run feeder wires to the rails in the box and connect them to track power with a quick disconneat of some sort.This will not be nessary for boxes containing rolling stock,it just wouldn't make sense!!)
Once the piece of equipment is in the box,attach the end using the hasps,pack the loco/car in the box with foam pieces or whatever,and close the lid.Presto,the loco is packed and ready to go clubing!!
This could also be done with just a simple piece of wood and a piece of track to transport equipment to the workbench.This will keep fingerprints to a minium.Once the loco is on the transport pad,place fingers on bottom of pad and a thumb on top of loco(fan,grill,ect.)
Just be sure to make the entire pad slightly longer than the longest piece of equipment,therefore you'll only need one pad!!
I hope this helps,or at least sparks an intrest in someone.I haven't tried this yet,but I think it'll work.Let me know something.
Have a safe CSX day!!!

P.S. If you have a moisture problem,use a silicone adheasive around the inside corners of the box.For the removeable end,just apply a small(aprox.1/8"-1/4")bead around the mating surface and allow to dry.This will serve as a gasket.A thin piece of home weather striping will do the same.Use this method for the lid as well.
Happy Railroading!!!

Date: 12/29/00 00:01
Author: Patrik

Hello!
A way to store and transport higly detailed models is to place a rail on the bottom of the box and use one ore two screws from under the rail to secure hold the model. For example a Athern diesel loco: put upside down and drill and tap a hole in the fueltank centerline. Place a loco length of rail on a rigid plate of wood or metal and drill a hole for the screw that match the loco threaded hole when the loco is right placed on the rail. Place the loco on the rail and gently tigthen the screw and your loco is safe attaced to the plate (the screw must have friction ore a elastic lock washer to not unscrew under transport). Put a cover over your plate and the loco is safe for transport or storage.

Date: 12/29/00 09:31
RE: storing locomotives
Author: Doc

Maybe you shouldn't be packing them away out of site after all the work you've done...either build or get someone to build a display case with shelves and a glass front, sliding or otherwise. Looks great hanging on the wall, mostly dust proof, and there's nothing like showing off your goodies without having to dig for them.(no, not those goodies!)
To haul them down to the club layout I modified several cheap little shallow metal tool boxes with handles on top. This way the locos are always "upright" without taking out sunshades etc. Foam keeps everything from knocking around while in transport.

Date: 01/01/01 16:47
RE: storing locomotives
Author: dl640

Try your loacl fantasy card/comic shop (my son is into this stuff). They have great heavy duty boxes for card. They come in various lengths singley and in multiple side-by side types.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0737 seconds