Home Open Account Help 187 users online

Model Railroading > Rock Island Boxcar ?

Date: 12/21/16 17:36
Rock Island Boxcar ?
Author: railwaybaron

I just picked-up an old Cooper & Oshtemo Rock 40' custom painted Rock Island boxcar. It's a scheme I've never seen before. It's all-over dark (Pullman?) green with white lettering and marked DF2. It has the latter-day large Gothic Italic ROCK (over) ISLAND block lettering on the right and on the left is number 23610. Was this a special dedicated service car? Does any one know what happened to C&O? It was sold by the original owner, but the new owner assured everyone that it would continue at a new location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/16 19:05 by railwaybaron.

Date: 12/21/16 19:00
Re: Rock Island Boxcar ?
Author: ACL3012

If you have the Morning Sun book-Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment.
Look on page 34. There is a photo at the top of the page. Car 20035 was a 40 foot express box car. It has Rock Island left of the door and the Rock Island emblem on the right side. These express cars had three or four different paint schemes.

Page 39, bottom has series 47401-47449 these cars were a shade darker than the New York Central box cars. The lettering on the left side of the door, has R.I. 47440, a yellow sticking about returning the car and DF1. The right side has the larger ROCK over ISLAND. I have a feeling that it is car from this series.

Hope this helps you.

Rex Press-Sunrise, Wyoming.

Date: 12/21/16 21:09
Author: railwaybaron

Unfortunately, I don't have the Rock Island book. Regardsless, is the car in the Large white Gothic lettering and dark green body for a special service? Or are you saying this is a late express boxcar scheme, or a partial repaint of an express boxcar, after express service was ended? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/16 23:13 by railwaybaron.

Date: 12/22/16 04:49
Author: ACL3012

The car is not a pullman green. The photo was taken in 1969. It wasn't an ex-express car. It is a dark green car. This car was assigned to some location as it has "When empty, return to a special location. There were 47 cars in this group. The Rock Island leased these cars. There are not any roof walks on this car that is in the Rock Island book.

Rex

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/16 04:51 by ACL3012.

Date: 12/22/16 17:13
Author: DrLoco

As far as the new C&O, I think the owner was doing it as a side project, but is a professional railroader first.  As family and work responsibilities increased, the custom painting work had to take a back burner...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds