Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Model Railroading > bright white 1.5v micro bulbs

Date: 01/16/17 22:21
bright white 1.5v micro bulbs
Author: fbe

I have an Athearn mp15AC I replaced the bulbs in some time ago.. These are bright and white and look good. I upgraded the decoder to a Tsunali2 PNP decoder and like the light effects. I put another Tsunami2 in a second MP15AC and cannot find a matching set of bulbs to install in this unit. Not the factory bulbs, not Athearn RTR bulbs, not Miniatronics, not two types of Circuitron nor GRS.

Does anyone know which brand of bulbs i am looking for? Yes, I understand there is an led option but not this time.

Date: 01/17/17 01:28
Re: bright white 1.5v micro bulbs

How about the Soundtraxx 810023 1.3mm bulbs? Will they come up white instead of a weak orange?

Date: 01/17/17 10:30
Author: Casselton

Are you having troubles matching the brightness of the two bulbs?   If this is the case, I take a package of Miniatronics 1.5v light bulbs, either 15 ma or 30 ma and test them for resistivity using a voltmeter.  Each bulb will have a different resistivity.  I then use two bulbs that have a close resistivity match and use those in pairs.   I test them with a DC power source to verify that the two bulbs are closely matched.  If the bulbs have a different resistivity, especially at 1.5 volts, you will notice the difference in brightness..  
I have also noticed that with Tsunami decoders, 1.5V bulbs are not as bright as I would like them to be.   1.5V 30ma will be slightly dimmer than a 1.5V 15 ma bulb.  The trade off is in the life of the bulb.
Mark

Date: 01/18/17 08:52

I had not thought about matching bulb pairs though that would be something to consider.

Most all of the multiple brands of bulbs I have recently tried give a weak orange light yet one set i installed some time ago are distinctly white. Even at the F7 dim setting they are white. Where can I find more of these bulbs?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds