Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > Control Panel Push Button Source?

Date: 04/01/17 11:20
Control Panel Push Button Source?
Author: bioyans

Hi All:

I belong to a club, who operates a decent sized layout in the basement of a historic building.  The club itself dates back to the early 1970's, and this particular layout was built starting in the mid-late 70's.  It was your typical multi-cab control, with a large dispatcher's panel, and several satellite panels in the terminals.  Several years back, the club converted to DCC (Digitrax), but retained the large control panels for turnout control.

As is typical, the push buttons for the turnouts are now starting to fail (this is the second set we've gone through over the life of the layout), and are looking at options on where to source new ones.  While this would seem like the perfect opportunity to upgrade the layout to DCC-based block detection, and JMRI for computer control, most of our members are older and not that computer savvy (some can barely figure out how to even make DCC work).

If we choose to retain the large panel, what would be a good source for new mini push buttons?  Radio Shack is pretty much gone from our area, and we need to come up with a solution to the failing buttons that are hanging up, and causing all turnout control to go down.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Date: 04/01/17 11:31
Re: Control Panel Push Button Source?
Author: NCA1022

Date: 04/01/17 12:11
Author: penncentral74

Jameco electronics is a great outfit. Hosfelt in Steubenville OH has bargain stuff.

The Mecca for electronic surplus is Mendelson's in Dayton OH. They also do mail order.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/17 15:07
Author: LarryDoyle

>   most of our members are older and not that computer savvy (some can barely figure out how to even make DCC work).

Hey!  Watch it!  I resemble that comment.

BTW - What's DCC?

-LD

{Check the date :-)  }

Date: 04/01/17 20:02
Author: KeyRouteKen

go to oldtime NEWARK ELECTRONICS in Chicago, IL.   Since 1934 !!!!!!!!!!!!   Remember them ??  Over 1000 employees.  Just like ALLIED, LAFAYETTE, etc, etc.

YES,  NEWARK is still with us-- SURPRISE--SURPRISE !!  Also known as Newark14 ....   Check it out and don't complain.

KRK

Date: 04/01/17 20:33
Author: 4400horsepower

Check out Allelectronics.com, located in California.

Brian
Burlington, Iowa

Date: 04/02/17 10:08
Author: KeyRouteKen

EBAY has tons of switches and buttons.

KRK

Date: 04/02/17 18:39
Author: BAB

Kadee is where I got mine they have both NO and NC.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds