Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn BNSF SD75I's - Detailing

Date: 04/19/01 17:53
Athearn BNSF SD75I's - Detailing
Author: slwapprslw

Does anyone know the colors of the detail parts should be painted (e.g. grab irons)?

Also, the BNSF unit I purchased has no number. Any reccomendations for number decals and a number.

(The number cannot be the two Athearn number's used BNSF SD75I's, but in the 8200 or 8300 series. Also, any reccomendations for a number should be given a short explanation; such as favorite unit. lol)

Thanks,

Cass Telles
<A HREF="http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh&quot;&gt;Railroads of NW Ohio</A>

Date: 04/19/01 18:13
RE: Athearn BNSF SD75I's - Detailing
Author: CSX_CO

8296 is the number of a BNSF SD75I I detailed up from the Athearn Kit.

Reason: Microscale number was already all there on their Set designed for the Athearn SD75I's. Can't beat not having to cut and put together a number...what a pain the arse that can be.

Have another undec SD75I that will get the same Details West Detail kit treatment (300 and 298 IIRC) no idea on a number as of yet though.

Looks great with my paint job and with some fine tuning, it has run for 6 hrs straight pulling 20 Walthers Autoracks, and nary a single wheel hit the stones.

CN SD70I is currently spread in front of my computer and is getting the DW treatment. New paint job and she will be ready to team up with DRLOCO's CN unit, pulling said autoracks on a model of the UP's AGFSH.

Practice Safe CSX

Date: 04/19/01 19:03
Author: kenw

I will assume that its in warbonnet paint? if so, perhaps this will help. Front handrails are yellow, long are silver. Tomball, Tx, past Summer (115f in the shade, btw).

Date: 04/19/01 21:11
Author: bnsftim

I'm glad you guys are having fun with these genesis units. Me, I will not even bother putting one together. I'm just a beginner and they look to complicated. I think I will just stick with KATO, Atlas, regular athearn, and P2K I can handle these in my sleep.

Fustrated modeler,
Tim Hardesty

Date: 04/20/01 08:21
Author: atsf5704

BNSF SD75I's are 8276 - 8301.

Athearn did 8277 and 8284.

Microscale Decals set #87-1071 is made for the SD75I and has 8278, 8295, 8296, and 8301 ready to use without splicing (as well as 8284 duplicating an Athearn Number).

The grab irons on the red areas a painted red were thy bolt on to the straight piece (where you would grab it) and that is painted yellow. The grab irons on the silver (end of the long hood) are painted on the same pattern but with silver replacing the red. The front and rear end handrails, stanchions, and the vertical nose handrails are all yellow. The side handrails and stanchions are silver with the vertical part od the handrail (and the rear step) being yellow.

www.trainpix.com has some good shots under the BNSF section.

Date: 04/20/01 13:01
Author: neilgross

Model Railroading magazine had a nice article on detailing a BNSF SD75I about three months ago. You might find it useful. Model Railroading's website is www.modelrailroadingmag.com. You might be able to order the issue through the website but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Date: 04/20/01 16:41
Author: fedup

Check out the Details West webpage. It won't help you with the paint but has photos of thier detail parts installed on many engines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds