Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Charlie Carangi RIP

Date: 04/25/17 19:45
Charlie Carangi RIP
Author: Kemacprr

To any PRR modelers in the SE Pa, Delaware ,NJ or Md area . Charlie Carangi passed away last night. He was one of the best most influential PRR modelers I have ever known. I've known Charlie for about 40 years and his influence on me made my Buffalo line possible. Charlie modeled the PRR mainline in his Newark Delaware basement from Pot Yard to Wilmington Del. and Harrisburg Pa in the 1952 time period. His modifications to motive power and rolling stock were years ahead on anyone else . His op sessions were every Sunday night for years on end. He was one of the best custom painters I have ever known. Museum quality in both paint weathering and mechanical work. The PRR modeling world has lost a great modeler and I have lost a good friend. ------- Ken McCorry

Date: 04/25/17 20:06
Re: Charlie Carangi RIP
Author: Dilworth

RIP

Date: 04/25/17 20:26
Author: calsubd

RIP

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 04/25/17 20:53
Author: CPR_4000

Sorry to hear the news. The name is not familiar . . . have photos of Charlie's work been published?

Date: 04/25/17 21:04
Author: inCHI

Sorry to hear of this. I only vaguely remember seeing his layout when I was really young but I remember as a fantastical series of levels, tracks, layers, and catenary.

Date: 04/26/17 02:22
Author: Harbor_Rest

Charlie was the perfect example of what a "Good Guy" is made of. He was gracious to all no matter who or what you are.

Date: 04/26/17 04:34
Author: brfriedm

I knew him well. A Model RR rock star. When I was getting started, one of the guys who taught me layout based operations. He did several paint projects for me and his work was well researched and impeccable. A very kind soul and willing to help at a moments notice. A great Husband, Dad and a friend. Rest in Peace Charlie. Boy did he love his beloved PRR LOL and was a walking PRR encyclopedia!

I know his son Chris well. A clone of Charlie in so many ways.

Bruce

Date: 04/26/17 07:34
Author: bobdavis

I can only echo what "Harbor_Rest said - Charlie was one of the good guys. Attached is a pic of a typical Charlie Carangi weathering job on a PRR K4s now in service on my railroad.

Bob
Thayne, WY

Date: 04/26/17 07:52
Author: bigmc83

Charlie was a good friend of me and my father, Dan. As mentioned, he was one of the pioneers of operations based model railroading in the Mid-Atlantic area. As a kid, I remember operating sessions on his PRR HO scale railroad. His scenery, weathering, details, and unique "Stepper" cab system made the railroad special. Not only was he a great model railroader, but he was a diehard railfan and was always up for watching trains. He was truly an artist in many ways.

-Sean McCaffery

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/17 08:00 by bigmc83.

Date: 04/27/17 18:45
Author: RRTom

Anyone have photos of his layout? I'm sorry I missed out meeting him.
RIP Charlie

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds