Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Model Railroading > P2K GP9's

Date: 05/16/17 06:39
P2K GP9's
Author: jburek

How do guys on this forum feel about P2k's GP9 shells? Accurate? How do they compare to Athearn Genesis GP9's for accuracy. I notice the corners on the P2K shells are more rounded off and on the Genesis models they are more squared. Which is more accurate?

Date: 05/16/17 08:05
Re: P2K GP9's
Author: BAB

Google gp9 pictures and see which you think is the best that way. I did but its hard to tell due to the angle you have on your photo.

Date: 05/16/17 08:23
Author: Setandcentered

Looks like a geep to me. Purists would have more to say though.

Dave

Posted from Android

Date: 05/16/17 10:52
Author: CPR_4000

Can't quite figure out what, but something looks "off" to me on the Genesis Geeps.

Date: 05/16/17 12:04
Author: SPDRGWfan

Neither can I! =P There were some issues with the Genesis geep shell when it first was in production but modelers pointed it out to Athearn and some issues were corrected.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 05/16/17 12:30
Author: australianterrier

The Proto GP's more rounded roof edges are more correct that Athearn's. But, the Proto units have generic detailing and if I'm correct the steps are too short on P2K. I know they are the Proto GP30's. Both are good models, Athearn has more bells and whistles. But with work, the Proto model is also good.

Jim

Date: 05/16/17 13:03
Author: grahamline

There was a "purist" discussion of the Proto GP roof profile on a forum or mailing list within the past few years -- around the time the Genesis GP arrived. I can't locate the discussion now, but the upshot was that a diesel modeler went out, found a Geep, measured the curve radius, and found that the Proto2000 radius was within a quarter-inch of the real thing. There's nothing like a little field research and measurement to resolve that kind of a question. Those who diagree are welcome to measure their own GP.

Date: 05/16/17 13:24

Some claim the truck side frames aren't as good on the P2K units. For me, P2k never did D&RGW in the 1970's switcher scheme so that nixed them for me. Genesis did do them so I got a couple. There doesn't seem to be the "ultimate GP9", but both are pretty good and neither perfect.

Cheers, Jim Fitch.

Date: 05/16/17 13:41
Author: CPR_4000

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some claim the truck side frames aren't as good on
> the P2K units.

Yes, replacing the P2K sideframes with Athearn seems to be the thing to do. I used Athearn sideframes with DA journal boxes on my BL2's.

Date: 05/16/17 14:19
Author: grahamline

P2K's earliest Blomberg sideframes (BL2, GP18, early GP9 runs) were shallow in detail and not as well-done as the Athearn sideframes that appeared in the 1980s or so when the power trucks were revised for an inside bearing.
Later P2K side frames (later GP9, GP7, GP20 & GP30) are much better but not as good as the '80s Athearns.
Later Athearn sideframes are a step back in quality and detail from their '80s sideframe.
Got all that?

Date: 05/16/17 14:37

I remember when the upgraded Athearn Blomberg-B truck came out - it was, and probably still is, considered to be one of the very best in HO.

Date: 05/17/17 07:19
Author: BAB

We in 1/8 scale have the same thing not quite but somewhat close. At least one manufacture used Athearn units as his guide the result was incorrect radiator grills on his SW7 units. I should say have been unable to locate any prototype ones with louvered upper exit grills on them. Took forever to get drawings never did find photos take of the top of them. Never thought about it until trying to find any that most are shot from ground level.

Date: 09/10/17 20:23
Author: np7009d

As far as I can tell, Athearn did not correct the over-high deck on the Genesis model, which in my opinion is the root of the shell (and stepwell, handrail stanchion, & etc.) proportion & dimensional problems. My suspicion after detailed model and prototype measurements and careful comparison of the Genesis & Proto Geeps is Athearn fudged some of the other mismatched shell proportions to make the model look a little better, but they did not correct a too-high deck. This is no surprise as it seems likely a thorough fix might have required costly modification of the chassis design as well as very extensive body shell retooling. This is just my opinion after some detective work-- I have no inside info.

Until very recenty I watched GP9s in service regularly where I live, and grew up seeing them, and to my eye the Genesis model looks lame. Hence as much as I need Geeps, I won't spend my money on them. But to your eye they may look fine. They are very nicely painted and tricked out.

The Proto GP 7-9-18s are far more accurately proportioned, andmake a farbetter looking model, IMO, but with the well-known downside that getting the more affordable older ones running takes intensive shop work.

Chris Frissell

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/10/17 20:42
Author: JimBaker

Anybody care to view the loco rotated?

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 09/11/17 20:05
Author: sixaxlecentury

Ask two people, and you will get two answers.

Date: 09/11/17 20:17
Author: Larry020

I figured it was either Magna-Traction, and or super elevation.  

ʎɹɹɐl

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds