Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > N Scale Searchlight Signals

Date: 05/20/17 18:59
N Scale Searchlight Signals
Author: dcutting

Hi all, it's Dave from Cutting Edge Scale Models. We're getting ready to start producing our N scale searchlight signals in the next few weeks. If anyone's interested, you can reserve them at: http://www.cescalemodels.com/n-signals. The cutoff for orders will be June 1, 2017 and should ship around July 2017. Please contact me if you have a large installation and would like to get a sample kit.

The signals consist of 3D printed parts, etched brass components, and a brass mast. They are fully functional and are made to exact scale dimensions. Check out the (unfinished) assembly guide to see the quality of the parts involved: http://www.cescalemodels.com/n-searchlight-signal-assembly

We're really excited about the decoders that we're releasing, together with the kits, to control the RGB led's in the heads. The decoders feature:

- Adjustable color blending using CV values in the decoder to achieve proper color blending. No more mixing Red and Green to get an incorrect shade of yellow!
- Prototypical vane movements and fading can be replicated simply by changing CV values in our decoder!
- Compatibility with both common anode AND common cathode LED's if you want to use out controller board for your own signals!
- Nine individual outputs on the controller board control up to three of our searchlight signals... It also works with RGY searchlights, standard 2-, 3-, and 4-element signal heads, color position/position signals, and more, all easily configurable through simply changing CV values.
- Programming is easy - you don't need to connect the decoder to a programming track, simply install the included jumper and program on the main!
- Integrated, low current draw, power supply allows easy installation - connect the decoder to your signal leads, plug in your track power, and start programming!
- On-board current limiting resistors (optional) allow easy wiring.
- Lunar (restricting) elements are finally possible to recreate with color mixing!

Date: 05/21/17 13:19
Re: N Scale Searchlight Signals
Author: Alexmarissa

Are you going to offer signals in HO scale?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/21/17 14:20

Is there any demand? I would have thought that the BLMA models cleared out most of that. I'd be open to it.

Date: 05/21/17 14:43
Author: atsf121

That looks very sharp.

Date: 05/21/17 14:46

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That looks very sharp.

Thanks! My favorite part of the whole project was the 3D printing... the parts are really, really small and I'm really happy with the results. This entire piece is about one square inch:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57655def03596e3a6ca45736/57b473946b8f5b356fe95a83/57b524e8f5e231c2f3bf281d/1471491510391/3D+print+%28Medium%29.jpg?format=750w

Date: 05/21/17 19:27
Author: tq-07fan

I don't think the HO scale guys realize how limited scenery and especially signals are for N scale. I had considered using some fiber optic searchlights but now I am leaning toward ordering signal kits from Britain and modifying them to US aspects. Now you present these, the prices alone are truly amazing!

Can the dwarf signals be stacked on top of each other?

Jim

Date: 05/22/17 03:42

Thanks for the encouragement! I didn't originally intend for the dwarves to stack, but I don't see why they couldn't glue on top of each other.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/24/17 14:00
Author: JUTower

I'm an HO modeler who would be interested in quite a few signals that aren't commercially available. There are others as well. Examples being the "Type G" tri-light signals common in the Northeast, GRS and USS searchlight signals - you can get some in limited run brass kits, but some don't exist. I can gather some photos up for you if you'd like.
Your decoder sounds very interesting!

-Alex

Date: 05/25/17 16:17

I'm planning more signals in the near future once the decoder is debugged and tested more.

David

Date: 05/25/17 18:56
Author: tq-07fan

On the decoder boards, should a separate decoder be used for each signal or can two or more signals be run off the same decoder. IS the decoder simply there to make the colors correct or does it do more?

I worked my offday today and plan to work some more tomorrow. The more overtime the nicer signals I can have, I figure.

I include a very basic diagram of what I am considering for signalling using these signals on a layout that I have planned.

EDIT! I ended up working over twelve hours on my offday Friday night. Good news is more money for better signalling. I include the diagram.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 19:35 by tq-07fan.

Date: 05/25/17 19:12

The decoder can run three individual signal HEADS, the mast does not matter. The decoder reads the DCC bus and sets the LED's according to the status of the signals set in JMRI. The layout that you have look like a great signalling subject, and since you have 27 heads you will need 9 decoders to run everything.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0675 seconds