Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Disappointing News

Date: 05/27/17 18:20
Disappointing News
Author: tronarail

While cruising around Tehachapi earlier today, I made my usual pilgrimage to "Trains etc." in downtown. When I tried the back door, it was locked. There were people inside, and one of them says to me, "the train store is gone." I was taken aback to be sure, but did not inquire as to the whys and wherefores of this latest development. I believe the owner told me he was going to retire and close the store when I visited previously. If such was the case, then I wish you a "Happy Retirement," sir. On a somewhat related topic, several years ago, B&F Train Shop in Bakersfield closed its doors, and it was a shock. The owner's retirement was the main reason. When one considers that Barry's Trains in Garden Grove, CA closed some time ago, and Caboose Hobbies in Colorado (?) closed and the building razed, the number of hobby stores that stock railroad-related videos, apparel, books and magazines, along with a good selection of model railroad merchandise is fast becoming a rarity. I apologize if any of this content was previously posted.

Date: 05/27/17 18:29
Re: Disappointing News
Author: Dreadnought

The same story is playing out across the country now. Where I live, a city of 2,000,000, there is not a single hobby store within an hour's drive, and hasn't been for several years. Even the non-strictly-train hobby stores, like HobbyTown USA, are gone. I'm lucky there's an excellent store a little bit more than an hour away, but it still sucks if I just wanna head by a hobby store for a chat.

It seems likely that moving online is the only viable options for most stores. There simply aren't enough model railroaders in most places to justify a brick-and-mortar store.

Dreadnought

Date: 05/27/17 18:52
Author: wabash2800

Too bad you don't have anything close by. There are a lot of things we don't have here in the second largest city in Indiana, (Fort Wayne, population 300,000 I believe) but we are fortunate to have two hobby shops (owned by the same entity). The father (that has since passed away) of the current owner told me once that there was no way he could make it just selling trains. Of course, the two shops have everything else too, including drones, airplanes, remote controlled cars, young kids hobby toys, tools, supplies etc., but have someone to man the model railroad sections (though only part-time). The shop also does mail-order and has a website. If they don't have it, they can order it for you with free shipping and their prices are not bad. They will also do discounts with local clubs and quantity purchases like track.

I like to order my items either in person or on the phone and pick them up. They also have service and stand behind their products. Of course, I have the few miles to drive to get there and back, but I can pick up supplies too and chat with the Model Railroad guru on days he is in. I also sell my books there.

I once watched a guy come in and ask a lot of questions about drones with the expert (the owner) and look at what they had to offer and pricing, and then thank the owner without a purchase. Perhaps he bought his drone on-line to save money, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 18:56 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/27/17 19:15
Author: SPDRGWfan

Heck, I live in northern Virginia Washington DC area with a large population metro area and there are no hobby shops at all which carry decent model RR products. Only a few generic hobby shops with mainly airplane and car models and a token section of low end toy trains. This is one of the richest and highest cost of living areas in the US and basically no decent B&M store. AFAIK MB Kliens is the closest shop to me and that is way over on the far side of metro DC and on the north side of Baltimore to boot, a good 90+ minute drive!

Since most B&M train shops seem to be gone when the owner retires, and many are retiring last few years, seems the only option left to many is online. But its the same for other products as Sears and many other iconic stores and chains are falling victim to online vendors.

Cheers, Jim

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/17 19:18 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 05/27/17 21:06
Author: cabman

It seems to me that we have ourselves to blame for this problem. If all we do is stop by "for a chat", as several posters mentioned, and then order our equipment online, what can you expect? I think we're sort of an eccentric and cheap bunch anyway, and I know I'd hate to keep a store open if that's what I had to endure. Luckily, I have an excellent B&M shop an hour away and try to do all my purchasing there.

Date: 05/27/17 23:06
Author: DevalDragon

I keep hearing the argument about how Brick & Mortar hobby shops are going away. A lot of it has to do with poor business practices and not adapting to the modern times.

I have 2 friends that have started new hobby shops - one in Ohio and the other in Illinois and are doing quite well. They offer good customer service and have a respectable 15% (or more) discount on everything.

Good customer service and good prices. Maybe it's not that different after all...

Date: 05/27/17 23:08
Author: wabash2800

Cabman: If you are referring to my reference to a chat, as I wrote, I do stop by for a chat on occasion but also pick up orders that the hobby shop has made for me or supplies they have on hand.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems to me that we have ourselves to blame for
> this problem. If all we do is stop by "for a
> chat", as several posters mentioned, and then
> order our equipment online, what can you expect?

Date: 05/27/17 23:33
Author: pmack

Since my local store closed a few years ago, my spending on trains has decreased about 95%. It would be even more but I count my TO subscription in that category. What I miss the most is visiting with the other people there.

Date: 05/27/17 23:49
Author: up421

There was some discussion, back in March about the closing.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4247005,4247370#msg-4247370

Date: 05/28/17 06:04
Author: bigkidpgh

In my opinion, a trip to the local hobby shop was more than just going to buy something for the railroad. It was a shared social experience with friends and other fellow modelers. I can recall Fridays and Saturdays at AB Charles & Son in the South Hills section of Pittsburgh - jammed with fellow modelers who loved to "stick around" for hours and shoot the bull. I could tell Mr Charles would at times become perturbed when things got really busy - it was a small store and the socialites took up a lot of space. But he never complained, knowing that was part of the modeler community experience. I would venture to guess that if you're under 40 years old, you could care less about B&M hobby stores because any product you want is available at the click of a button and then the experience is shared via today's online social platforms. I don't think that hobby shops are doing anything wrong - it's just that they're simply not needed any longer by a new generation of modelers. To say that there aren't as many model railroaders as there used to be is probably true - but maybe not to the extent that is assumed here on TO. Things change, things pass and old timers lament it as "sad" and "terrible" - but the truth is that we're really lamenting our own mortality and the loss of what made us happiest in our youth. Such is life.

Date: 05/28/17 09:19
Author: patd3985

Well things are booming around the Seattle metro area. I've got my pick of 3 or 4 stores within my reach, and I don't like reaching very far!

Date: 05/28/17 09:42
Author: Frisco1522

My favorite hobby shop, Tinker Town, closed here several years ago. Both owners were great modelers, great people and would bend over backwards to help. As the internet developed, you could see how it was draining them.
Anytime I needed anything, I would pick up the phone and if they didn't have it, they would have it by the next Wed. I prefer to spend my money locally. I also prefer to see the item physically. TTown was a favorite destination. I even bought my magazines there rather than subscribe. Some people would come in, stand there and read the mags and leave. I thought that was rude.
One of the owners, Frank, told me that you can make a million with a hobby shop if you start with two million. As the end drew near, they started cutting prices more and the place filled up. He told me if business had been that good they would not have closed. I accused them of being greedy and wanting to make a profit. LOL
In a way, I hate what the internet has done to us. I used to see the proverbial brain pickers finding out everything they needed to know there and then buying it on the web. TTown was good at giving a break if you wanted to buy a large quantity of track or other items.
I miss all of the old line hobby shops in St. Louis but TTown has left a big hole in my life.

Date: 05/28/17 10:56
Author: SPDRGWfan

I remember Tinker Town back when I was a field geologist and made a number of trips to St Louis from NY for jobs.

Being a Rio Grande fan of the 1980s TT included rolling stock of interest to me including case of nice brass cabooses and engines I drooled over but couldnt come close to affording back in the mid 1990s.

I do recall finding and buying my 1st Eel River beer box cars there and still have one, as well as some Walthers special run Athearn SP reefer kits. They always had things other hobby shops didnt have. I was sorry to read TT had closed.

Cheers Jim Fitch

Posted from Android

Date: 05/28/17 11:55
Author: Harlock

Linda closed the store because she could not find a buyer for the business and was ready to retire again. So she sold stuff at discount the last few months and then said she would be putting the remainder on EBay.

I live in Tehachapi and I will miss having the train store - it was a good source of railroad books being sold on consignment from local estates. It was also a good tourist stop - mainly being aimed at families and visitors. Now there is no companion experience to visiting the depot, although I have a feeling the depot gift shop will now be doing a bit more brisk business.

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 05/28/17 12:20
Author: fs321a

Trains etc was a must stop when visiting Kern County. They were very friendly. Wish them the best in their retirement.

Jon in Az

Posted from Android

Date: 05/31/17 11:38
Author: SPboy

It’s sad to see a hobby shop closing their doors, especially train stores that use to be everywhere you go during the 70’s and 80’s. Well IMO, this is the reasons why we’re seeing this. The modeling hobby, trains, plastic models cars and planes and any related modeling supplies, glues, paints, etc are too damn expensive which most people can’t afford anymore. Also most of us who enjoyed this hobby are getting older with the younger generations focusing on social media and gaming technology who rather spend their time in a different way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/17 11:39 by SPboy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0759 seconds