Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Model Railroading > Proto SD7 theme

Date: 08/14/01 10:17
Proto SD7 theme
Author: mayor79

I know this topic has come up from time to time but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for in the archives.

My question is what are the differences between Proto's two different runs of SD7's? I'm looking to convert one into a Milwaukee Road SD10. I'd assume they would both be great starting points but I'm getting into the rivit counting stage with my Milwaukee stuff and want to start with the best model possible. One big consideration, is one easier to set up for DCC or are they both plug and play?

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

Date: 08/14/01 18:47
RE: Proto SD7 theme
Author: bessemerlakeerie

I wasn't aware there was a difference. Although I'm still hoping they come out with a B&LE with dynamic brakes (801-803). As far as DCC. they are pretty much plug-n-play.

Date: 08/14/01 21:01
RE: Proto SD7 theme
Author: JDLX

Primary difference is in details. The new run has much more and finer details on it than the first run (stuff like a see-through screen on the winterization hatch). I think there are some internal electrical differences between the two runs as well, but don't quote me on it.

An SD-7 with dynamic brakes can be had. The non-dynamic section pops out, and you can obtain from Life-Like a replacement dynamic braking hood section. The unfortunate thing is that you have to buy a complete shell as well as a lot of other details to get all the parts to make the section complete, but I found it was well worth it when I converted my SD-7 from non-dynamic to dynamic (the extra shell is now painted and sitting on a heavily modified Athearn SD-9 chassis).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds