Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > SP/RI Baggage Trucks Question

Date: 07/15/17 21:38
SP/RI Baggage Trucks Question
Author: bnsfsd70

Hi all!
I've got kits to build HO models of these RI/SP "Economy" baggage cars (NKP Car Co.), and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the what trucks to use for them.

In addition, it looks as if the SP cars had more stuff underneath them as opposed to the RI's. Any help on what can be added to the floor to better represent it would be most appreciated!

I realize that the cars have different trucks, but that's why I'm asking. I'm by no means a passenger car expert, so hopefully some of you can help.

Thanks a lot,
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 07/16/17 05:17
Re: SP/RI Baggage Trucks Question
Author: ATSF3751

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all!
> I've got kits to build HO models of these RI/SP
> "Economy" baggage cars (NKP Car Co.), and I was
> wondering if you guys could help me out with the
> what trucks to use for them.

The Coach Yard has a model of these trucks. I have not seen any other commercial models of these
>
> In addition, it looks as if the SP cars had more
> stuff underneath them as opposed to the RI's. Any
> help on what can be added to the floor to better
> represent it would be most appreciated!
>
The underbody on these cars depended on if they were in messenger service or not, that is, where a TBM was assigned. Those cars had batteries and a generator, as well as a restroom and a desk. Other SP cars of this class lacked batteries and generators since there were used primararly in both express and mail storage service. In order to get power, they were trainlined with an adjacent car. Go to Passenger Car Photo Index to see more photos of these cars. Coach Yard has done some excellent models of these cars....here are some photos of a PCF TCY version:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/084728/HO-Brass-Model-TCY-0955-SP-Southern-Pacific-Economy-Baggage-Car-6701-F-P-2003-Run

These cars were built by SLC (St Louis Car Company)between 1958 and 1960) and PCF (Pacific Car & Foundry) in 1962. Spotting differences between the two makers are primarly the roof. The later versions built by PCF (1962) had a freight car roof while the SLC versions had passenger car roofs.

Let me know which version you are building, and if it will be equipped for messenger service (for use as a baggage car) and I will give you the car numbers that should be used.

> I realize that the cars have different trucks, but
> that's why I'm asking. I'm by no means a
> passenger car expert, so hopefully some of you can
> help.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> - Jeff Carlson

Date: 07/16/17 13:55
Author: bnsfsd70

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> The Coach Yard has a model of these trucks. I have
> not seen any other commercial models of these

Got it, thanks! For the SP ones, it looks like TCY's #0529 is the one ( http://www.thecoachyard.com/Pages/AllImages.lasso?RecId=318 ).

> The underbody on these cars depended on if they
> were in messenger service or not, that is, where a
> TBM was assigned. Those cars had batteries and a
> generator, as well as a restroom and a desk. Other
> SP cars of this class lacked batteries and
> generators since there were used primararly in
> both express and mail storage service. In order to
> get power, they were trainlined with an adjacent
> car.

I'm looking to include these in the joint RI-SP trains 39-40, in the mid-60's, so I'd assume that they were in baggage service, but I could be wrong.

> These cars were built by SLC (St Louis Car
> Company)between 1958 and 1960) and PCF (Pacific
> Car & Foundry) in 1962. Spotting differences
> between the two makers are primarly the roof. The
> later versions built by PCF (1962) had a freight
> car roof while the SLC versions had passenger car
> roofs.

Oh, the NKP Car kits are for the SLC cars with the passenger roofs. I'd absolutely LOVE (Scaletrains, Exactrail, etc. are you listening?) to have those PCF cars available, but alas, these cars will have to do the trick for now.

Thanks a lot,
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 07/16/17 20:30
Author: spjim

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> ATSF3751 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Coach Yard has a model of these trucks. I
> have
> > not seen any other commercial models of these
>
> Got it, thanks! For the SP ones, it looks like
> TCY's #0529 is the one (
> http://www.thecoachyard.com/Pages/AllImages.lasso?
> RecId=318 ).

The last time I checked Coach Yard was sold out of this truck.

J. Lancaster

Date: 07/17/17 02:33
Author: Notch16

Union Terminal Imports also did very nice runs of both the SP and RI cars. All sold out and not easy to find.

Of the 1962 crop, it's probably best to say something other than "freight car" roof, since those squarish-looking roofs are unlike any freight car roofs with which I'm familiar. They have a slight radius and are multi-panel welded, very much in the passenger car style, but instead of arching downward at the eaves in traditional passcar profile, they end in a sharp turndown and lap seam where they join taller than standard car sides. Those sides were riveted, and had an unusual belt seam at mid-car height.

The cars Jeff's building are almost the inverse: the SP "passenger car" roof versions have riveted lap seam roof panels and smooth welded sides; they also have a row of rivets at the ends.

So to really do the microscopic job, Archer will sell a lot of rivets. Fortunately, those rivets aren't really apparent until you get real close!

As to the service on 39-40, that's out of my experience. But the train handled lots of mail and express, with all that head end equipment. Actual passenger baggage would barely take up a portion of one "Star" car with baggage agent and facilities. Most of the rest of the business was storage mail (sealed cars with no sorting enroute) and other express shipments. Look also on the roofs of these cars; MBE-only cars (mail, baggage, express) with no messenger facilities had four roof vents, while "Star" cars had eight. (I'm speaking from SP experience, and the RI cars are subtly different in several places, including trucks.)

Many roads hung onto their old heavyweight head end cars until they simply wore out, choosing to invest in lightweight equipment where it counted more: with paying passengers. But the initial economy eventually faded as the old stalwart cars became unserviceable, and these ultra-Spartan cars were the unwanted necessity of feeding a shrinking bottom line; head end and mail business brought more revenue than passengers on many runs. I hope we'll all have patience rewarded one day with these interesting cars in accurate plastic versions, part of the last gasp of reluctant railroad investment in passenger equipment before Amtrak.

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/17 02:37 by Notch16.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds