Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > Some yard photos...

Date: 07/19/17 09:10
Some yard photos...
Author: yvrr

Here are some photos that were taken for a magazine article for Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine about the buildings typically found in steam era roundhouse areas.

1. Looking down the turntable lead (the turntable is behind the photographer) toward the sand drier house and water tank on the right and the oil house and stores building on the left.

2. The crew of No. 25 has finished topping off the tender oil bunker and are about ready to leave. On the other side of the tracks is the stores building.

3. A shop worker heads to the roundhouse just after sunrise with his lunch pail in hand.

Jack Burgess

Date: 07/19/17 09:16
Re: Some yard photos...
Author: retcsxcfm

Jack does museum quality work.
Minor things catch my eye,look
at the ground slope between the
buildings down to the track.
Railroads are not flat,neither
should your model railroad.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 07/19/17 09:17
Author: elu34ch

Very nice layout. Seems really "clean" for a steam engine home.

Date: 07/19/17 10:19

elu34ch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice layout. Seems really "clean" for a steam
> engine home.

From prototype photos of the roundhouse area, things were kept fairly clean. Work areas needed to be kept somewhat safe and orderly. I learned from talking to retired YV employees that they really took pride in their jobs and that was reflected in how they told care of things. Even piles of “junk” were kept somewhat organized as shown in the prototype photo and model photo.

Jack

Date: 07/19/17 10:39
Author: CSURAM

Great job! Awesome details and well put together.

Date: 07/19/17 12:38
Author: portlander

Are there prototype pictures of wheels leaning against a wooden passenger car? It seems like that kind of weight would push right through the wall.

Otherwise, amazing work.

Date: 07/19/17 13:59
Author: johnsweetser

> Are there prototype pictures of wheels leaning against a wooden passenger car? It seems like that kind of weight would push right through the wall.

My thoughts exactly.

And what keeps the wheels up against the oil house and stores building from toppling down the slope they're on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 14:00 by johnsweetser.

Date: 07/19/17 18:26

It does seem that the weight would be a problem. But here is a prototype photo looking the opposite direction (toward the turntable). There are wheelsets leaning against both the stores building platform, the oil house, and the combine storage building. There are also freight car brake shoes on the stores building platform which I modeled.

Jack

Date: 07/19/17 19:30
Author: ChrisCampi

Superb work by a master craftsman. Always loved the "texture" of your track work. The colors and weathering are dead on to my eye.

Chris

Date: 07/19/17 22:59
Author: dmaffei

Jack,
Your layout is one of my favorites. I know your attention to detail is superb. Case in point, the prototype photo to back up your layout.
Thanks for posting these photos. Post more if you can.
Dave

Date: 07/19/17 23:40
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing Jack. It's a darn shame that railroad had to be abandoned and sold mostly for scrap.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/20/17 09:40
Author: portlander

yvrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It does seem that the weight would be a problem.
> But here is a prototype photo looking the opposite
> direction (toward the turntable). There are
> wheelsets leaning against both the stores building
> platform, the oil house, and the combine storage
> building. There are also freight car brake shoes
> on the stores building platform which I modeled.
>
> Jack

Well, sure as heck! Thank you for that great photo.

Date: 08/02/17 17:39
Author: TomG

Wonderful pictures. I'm blessed to have been invited over to see it in person with Jimmy Dias. An amazing layout.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds