Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > It's Not a Model of an O Scale Oil Refinery

Date: 07/19/17 14:37
It's Not a Model of an O Scale Oil Refinery
Author: Larry020

It's actually the prototype.   

The Richmond California Chevron Refinery (located just a few miles away) was going to have some work done.  For a complicated task where simply looking at blueprints isn't enough to prevent misteaks, a mock up is made so that construction workers can refer to it before things go awry.  When the work is completed, the mock up is normally thrown away.  

One of our club members worked at the refinery.  He received permission to donate it to our favorite 501 (c) 3 non profit http://www.gsmrm.org/ (shameless plug), and it's been here for at least a decade. 

ʎɹɹɐl

[EDIT] I tried to turn my name right side up.  Did it rollover?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 14:40 by Larry020.

Date: 07/19/17 15:07
Re: It's Not a Model of an O Scale Oil Refinery
Author: tomstp

Your comments remind me when a friend was going to build a refinery. He wanted to know where all the pipes went. No one knew. So he called a friend who worked at a refinery and asked him. The reply: "Hell, Jack, even though I work there I don't have any idea where they go."

Date: 07/19/17 16:04
Author: wingomann

Instead of throwing them away they should auction them off on ebay. Recover some of the money they pay the modelbuilder.

Date: 07/19/17 16:49
Author: BAB

Might be the same one my father worked in after the war for a few years as a welder back in 45. Quit after about the third time something blew up or caught fire.

Date: 07/19/17 17:00
Author: Larry020

Two shots from the public walkway.  In each photo you can see a tank car near the bottom right corner.  I think they're cracking towers.  

The donor determines the value of the item.  eBay requires at least two fools that won't give up, and the desire to package something that BIG!

Larry

Date: 07/19/17 18:59
Author: TomPlatten

Plastruct has been doing these mock-ups for years!

Date: 07/19/17 19:13
Author: atsf121

That is a fantastic looking model. It sure looks like the units along Castro St in Richmond, always thought that would make a fun model.

Nathan

Date: 07/24/17 07:59
Author: navarch2

Some years ago, a local company which designs control systems for such things as refineries, had a highly detailed chemical refinery model of around 30 square feet they were trying to get rid of. A friend of mine worked there and said they were just going to hack it up if no one took it whole...no one did.

When we do model testing of new designs, we allow the vessel owners to claim the the 1:19 hull shape models from the test basin if they want them. Otherwise the basin destroys them.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds