Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Model Railroading > Update - An HO Scale Donation That Isn't Ordinary

Date: 07/20/17 10:09
Update - An HO Scale Donation That Isn't Ordinary
Author: Larry020

—- Update —-

You can see these items for the last time, I hope, at the swap meet at Richmond, California.  They will be on display for you to see in person.  Just look for our Golden State Model Railroad Museum banner.  Our model railroad Museum is less than three miles from the show.  The show is open 10-4 each day.  The Museum is open from 12-5 each day. 

We’re looking forward to meeting you.  Look for upside down and backwards Larry

ʎɹɹɐ˥

I have seen thousands upon thousands of cars and engines donated to our organization http://www.gsmrm.org/ but this particular donation was just a little bit different.  They arrived via FedEx from New York City, and we're less than twenty miles from San Francisco, Calif. 

1)  Overview 

2)  One in particular 

3)  Hopefully you can read what is on the plaque. 

Larry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/18 21:26 by Larry020.

Date: 07/20/17 10:24
Re: An HO Scale Donation That Isn't Ordinary
Author: tracktime

Very nice, Larry.

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/20/17 10:27
Author: NSTopHat

Larry;

Quite the donation. Can you post an image of the coal car, broad-side?

Regards,
Russ

Date: 07/20/17 10:32

Almost all of the cars and engines were not good enough to keep for the railroad, nor sell to our own members.  They probably will all be going away except one for a display and for spare parts.

1)  The Athearn SD50 RTR that was on this block of wood will either receive a decoder (and run with other previously donated KCS   locomotives) or kept so that it may become a parts source. 

2)  The little plaque isn't noticeable if the base is turned around.  These two will be going to Oregon to become door prizes at the next Espee in Oregon Meet that I attend.

ʎɹɹɐl

Donation Coordinator 
http://www.gsmrm.org/

Date: 07/20/17 10:36
Author: tracktime

It's pretty interesting to see all the "big money" behind these purchases.

As for me, I'm lucky to get a shopping bag to go with my locomotive purchases! =) Never mind a nice plaque with display stand.. Then again, I didn't purchase $347M worth of locomotives on my prior visit. =)

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 07/20/17 10:50

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry;
>
> Quite the donation. Can you post an image of the
> coal car, broad-side?
>
> Regards,
> Russ

Russ

Because You Asked For It!  

1)  Broadside of the car. 

2)  3/4 wedgie. 

3)  The particulars about the deal. 

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 07/20/17 10:52
Author: NSTopHat

Larry;

Thanks for the image. I thought it was the MDC Ortner RD, but wanted to make sure. Very cool collection!

Regards,
Russ

Date: 07/20/17 14:31
Author: atsf121

Interesting details on those plaques, that's a lot of money that could help me build a nice layout!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/20/17 20:53
Author: funnelfan

What does the stack car plaque say?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/20/17 20:54
Author: MojaveBill

Usually those things are just a chunk of plastic with a plaque inside. Very cool!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/20/17 21:43

funnelfan Wrote:
> What does the stack car plaque say?

I'll have to take some more photos after work on Friday, and post them.

Larry

Date: 07/21/17 03:33
Author: march_hare

How do I get Goldman Sachs to finance my model purchases?

i have really good credit--I made more money last year than Sears and JC Penney combined!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/17 03:34 by march_hare.

Date: 07/21/17 16:23

Larry020 Wrote:
> funnelfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What does the stack car plaque say?
>
> I'll have to take some more photos after work on
> Friday, and post them.
>
> Larry

Here are the photos that I promised;

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4342994

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 11/21/18 21:47
Re: Update - An HO Scale Donation That Isn't Ordinary

Update 

See these in person this weekend at the train show in Richmond California.  With your cooperation, it will be the last time that this collection will be intact. 

http://www.trainshow.com/ 

1414 Harbour Way South Richmond, California 

See for yourself why Train Show dot com calls the Craneway Pavillion the coolest place to have a train show on earth. 

Less than three miles miles away is our model railroad club and Museum at http://www.gsmrm.org/ 900 Dornan Drive Point Richmond California.  We are in the middle of the Miller / Knox Regional Shoreline Park.  We have a 10,000 sq ft building that houses three layouts in N, HO, and O. 

Membership is now open.  No initiation fees, no assessments, no new member fees, free coffee and doughnuts during our monthly meeting, and dues are only $20 a month.

Best of all, the restrooms, kitchen, and club room carpeted floors are kept very clean because a maid comes in once a week and takes care of the chores that we don’t want to do.  How great is that for a model train club? 

Try us, you’ll like us!

ʎɹɹɐ˥

[Edit] Corrected a syntax error. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/18 08:47 by Larry020.

Date: 11/22/18 08:42
Re: Update - An HO Scale Donation That Isn't Ordinary
Author: King_Coal

Neat little sllce of what you see around offices at RR HQ buildings. It looks like these are bank to railroad trinkets, but a lot of RR to customer trinkets are out there too. Team building or "remember me next time" tokens. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/22/18 21:17
Author: rdb3

Coincidentally, or not, Dave Graybeal, who is shown as the arranger of the financing for the coal hoppers, is a former proud member and past-President of East Bay Model Engineers Society, now a "subsidiary" of GSMRM.  He unfortunately abandoned the Bay Area many moons ago and headed off to the Big Apple, and I wouldn't be surprised if he thoughtfully arranged for these donations.

Rick

Date: 11/22/18 22:11

rdb3 Wrote:
> Coincidentally, or not, Dave Graybeal, who is
> shown as the arranger of the financing for the
> coal hoppers, is a former proud member and
> past-President of East Bay Model Engineers
> Society, now a "subsidiary" of GSMRM.  He
> unfortunately abandoned the Bay Area many moons
> ago and headed off to the Big Apple, and I
> wouldn't be surprised if he thoughtfully arranged
> for these donations.
>
> Rick

ʞɔıɹ

It doesn’t take me long to figure things out.  I see that you have been on TO for twelve years, and I didn’t even know you were here. 

Hello

Hope you can see them for yourself this weekend.  While Ken and I are busy selling an unbelievable array of donations, with these items as a prime example if I’ve ever seen a prime example, you can also visit the club at 900 Dornan Drive, Point Richmond California.  In the O Scale town when you first walk in the building, you’ll see Dave’s three foot tall yellow crane (that used to be in his office in Oakland) now put to work in its second career at East Bay. 

Could you post a photo or two of the crane and city that surrounds it?  It’s not often that anyone sets aside a 20’ x 20’ area for a town in any scale, let alone O. 

ʎɹɹɐ˥

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/18 22:13 by Larry020.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds