Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Model Railroading > Grieving the Loss

Date: 07/21/17 13:37
Grieving the Loss
Author: hankbrank15

I waited years to "upgrade" my old "Front Range" Opera Window Center Beam flat car. Very unique car and nice model way back then by Front Range. I loved the modern Front Range cars coming out at the time.
My prayers were answered when ExactRail finally came out with their Platinum Series Thrall 63'Opera Window Center Beam flat car in HO and I immediately purchased the BNSF model for my layout.
While cleaning track and doing maintenance work, I bumped my ExactRail Opera Window Center Beam flat car accidentally and it took the fatal 48" plunge to the concrete floor below and shattered like glass into many many pieces. Would take hours to repair which I dont have. Would this car still be available anywhere or anyhow? Is Ebay "risky" as far as broken or missing parts/quality?

Date: 07/21/17 14:22
Re: Grieving the Loss
Author: SD45X

Nothing risky about eBay buying. Buyer protection.:)
But you need to ask questions from the seller if you are doubtful of something.
Some sellers don't understand what "description " means.
I've had to send two engines back as they weren't "like new". One didn't run, the other had numerous details messed up from poor shipping.
And one had a handrail broken and he sent me a new set:)
So, not risky but maybe frustrating a little. I've only had one bad EBay experience and it was from China and wasn't trains related.

Date: 07/21/17 14:30
Author: Streamliner

hankbrank15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I waited years to "upgrade" my old "Front Range"
> Opera Window Center Beam flat car. Very unique car
> and nice model way back then by Front Range. I
> loved the modern Front Range cars coming out at
> the time.
> My prayers were answered when ExactRail finally
> came out with their Platinum Series Thrall
> 63'Opera Window Center Beam flat car in HO and I
> immediately purchased the BNSF model for my
> layout.
> While cleaning track and doing maintenance work, I
> bumped my ExactRail Opera Window Center Beam flat
> car accidentally and it took the fatal 48" plunge
> to the concrete floor below and shattered like
> glass into many many pieces. Would take hours to
> repair which I dont have. Would this car still be
> available anywhere or anyhow? Is Ebay "risky" as
> far as broken or missing parts/quality?

As a long time, very active seller on eBay, I can tell you that it is not "risky" to buy there, as long as you look the photos over carefully and ask the seller any questions you may have, before buying. If with the seller's description & photos, you are not satisfied that the item is exactly what you want, pass it and find another one. Look for sellers with a substantial number of feedback ratings (I'd say 100 or more) and 100% positive feedback. It is VERY difficult to maintain 100% positive FB and it tells you that the seller will pretty much do ANYTHING to insure happy buyers. Poor photos, vague descriptions, poor answers to questions and less than 100% positive FB, FIND ANOTHER SELLER! Good luck!

Date: 07/21/17 15:47
Author: kevink

What roadname are you looking for?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/21/17 16:03
Author: Fizzboy7

Another far-off option is the Walthers opera car. They just announced a new round of roadnames last night. Loads too.

Date: 07/21/17 16:44
Author: africansteam

Save the pieces of your old car incase anything is missing or broken on the replacement.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 07/21/17 17:31
Author: railwaybaron

hankbrank15 Wrote:
Is Ebay "risky" as far as broken or missing parts/quality?

Ebay is really safe if you ask the seller to describe any broken or damaged parts beforehand. I have +5000 sales experiences. However, I always play it safe by buying only "New" items and not "Used" items. One does get the rare conman/crook though. In 99% of such cases Ebay will sort it out in the buyer's favor. But beware, I once was sued for $10,000 by an ex-con because he claimed I had overcharged him $3. in postage. When it was all over my insurance company paid him $1000. to go away. They told me that just meeting him in court would have cost them more. Guy was a defrocked lawyer, who went to the Big House for running a "bagio" out of his law office!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/17 17:41 by railwaybaron.

Date: 07/21/17 18:34

BNSF or the Green BN are the road names I was looking for

Date: 07/21/17 18:37

africansteam Wrote:
> Save the pieces of your old car incase anything is
> missing or broken on the replacement.
>
> Cheers,
> Jack

Excellent idea, did not think of that. Was going to throw pieces all away, but will keep. Great input about e-bay, will look for "new in the box" if possible. Thanks.

Date: 07/21/17 20:41
Author: OregonOldGuy

hankbrank15 Wrote:
> africansteam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Save the pieces of your old car incase anything
> is
> > missing or broken on the replacement.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jack
>
> Excellent idea, did not think of that. Was going
> to throw pieces all away, but will keep. Great
> input about e-bay, will look for "new in the box"
> if possible. Thanks.

And you can always put them in a car as a scrapped car!

Rob

Date: 07/21/17 21:06
Author: funnelfan

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> Another far-off option is the Walthers opera car.
> They just announced a new round of roadnames last
> night. Loads too.

Wow, those roadnames were very "underwhelming". Walthers missed several good roadnames in the initial run of these cars and still has yet to make them. I can take a pass on these recently announced cars. I recently bought some decals to custom paint many of the missing cars such as Longtree, Tricon in black, and Desticon Transportation. Walther's new product development seems pretty lame anymore.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds