Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > Found a good foam adhesive

Date: 07/22/17 14:09
Found a good foam adhesive
Author: inCHI

I have projects where I need to glue layers of foam together. On a model railroad, that might be to make terrain. White glue doesn't dry, and caulk's performance for me has been less than ideal. It doesn't really sink into the foam. The foam I'm usually using is the pink FOAMULAR Extruded Polystyrene.

Recently I've found something that works really well - Hot Wire Foam Factory glue. I've used two kinds. The foam fusion glue is a bit runny and does seem to sink into the foam, and creates a good tight bond once dry. There is also a quick set glue that is clear and more gel-like. I used it to glue foam onto wood, they recommended it to me for purpose like that where materials are mixed.

The photo above is a sculpture where I used the quick dry wood/foam and the fusion glue on the foam/foam. In both cases I was pleasantly surprised with how there weren't gaps or spaces in the layers, and how secure it has been. I have cut heavily into parts of this since that photo was taken and the glue has held what remains of the foam. With a hot wire cutter or a rasp it also hasn't been an obstruction that was hard to cut through.

This isn't on a model, but when I switch back to a model project I'll be using these. For example, if I wanted to put a piece of 4 x 8 plywood onto a 4 x 8 foot sheet of foam to provide a rigid base to install switch machines, this would be the glue that I would use to hold the foam and plywood together. Another reason I would: it is surprisingly cheap. Luckily an art store near me started stocking it. Lastly, there is an interesting foam coat product they make that comes somewhere between plaster and concrete and is also cheap, and I could see having some terrain applications. I might be trying that soon.

Date: 07/22/17 16:38
Re: Found a good foam adhesive
Author: modelrailroader

I use gorilla adhesive that you get from Lowe's once you glue the foam to the plywood it is not coming loose works great

Date: 07/22/17 18:58
Author: SWChief

Liquid Nails works great too. They also make Liquid Nails for Foam. I don't like it as much as the regular Liquid Nails, the for foam version sets slower (by design). I prefer the faster setting times of the regular version.

Greg

Date: 07/23/17 07:18
Author: march_hare

Low temperature hot glue works great, set up in a few seconds. 

Date: 07/23/17 07:25
Author: 4400horsepower

You can use Elmers glue also. Once it dries, you won't get it apart.

Brian
Burlington, Iowa

Date: 07/23/17 10:17
Author: inCHI

4400horsepower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can use Elmers glue also. Once it dries, you
> won't get it apart.
>
> Brian
> Burlington, Iowa

In my experience, though, it can take weeks to dry. It needs to air dry and air flow doesn't get to the interior of the foam. I have cut through sheets before weeks after gluing and it was still wet.

This foam fusion glue caught my eye because it chemically dries, and does it quickly.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/24/17 07:35
Author: navarch2

I use Liquid Nails to secure foam to wood and to itself - no issues yet after over 2 years.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds