Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Layout fascia

Date: 07/26/17 19:26
Layout fascia
Author: SD608708

What color have you folks used for your fascia?
TIA

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 07/26/17 19:31
Re: Layout fascia
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Green

Date: 07/26/17 22:08
Author: MojaveBill

Beautiful layout!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/27/17 03:25
Author: GBW309

I used 1X6 pine, sanded and varnished and attached from behind so there are no visible screws. It has a natural beauty.

Dave

Date: 07/27/17 05:52
Author: santafedan

The layouts I have worked on, except mine, use Hunter Green. It looks like WWM's facia. I left mine natural. It fit the western scenery better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/17 05:55 by santafedan.

Date: 07/27/17 07:29
Author: THAT-L-DO

I used a custom green (from Menards) that I wanted to kind of complement my scenery as it goes into place.

THAT-L-DO

Date: 07/27/17 09:54
Author: SPDRGWfan

Layout fascia color seems to be matched to the geographic regions color theme. Midwest or eastern RR's seem to go for some shade of green, western desert layouts a form of tope or earth tone.

Date: 07/27/17 23:36
Author: wabash2800

I haven't painted mine yet, but I'm going to buck the trend and paint it a salmon color just like part of the Kalmbach layout.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/28/17 04:31
Author: nkp746

I went with a blue color- it just struck me as looking good. I did use a forest green on my previous layout. Now I need to get something hung below the fascia to hide the darn mess I have under the layout!

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

Date: 07/28/17 06:18
Author: HB90MACH

Mine is a dark green. Quarter inch ply. I am slowly changing it to a dark stain poplar swith semi gloss finish to give it a more refined look. Going to restart an old youtube channel. Which is why it is being done

Date: 07/28/17 06:32
Author: Larry020

I won't offer any reasons why we have this color, because the person that convinced us that this is the perfect color for the facia has since died about eight years ago, and I can't remember the reasons why.

Larry

Date: 07/29/17 17:59
Author: SD608708

Thanks for all the input. Loved the pictures of other's fascia.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 07/29/17 20:29
Author: wabash2800

Good for using blue Rob. I think it looks great. Some think the color should blend in with the scenery and others think it should frame it.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 07/30/17 19:30
Author: navarch2

My intent is to use a very dark green.....

Bob

Date: 07/31/17 12:49
Author: Larry020

Here are some colours to choose from. 

http://m.behr.com/h5/mobile/en_US/color_smart

yrral
ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 08/02/17 15:06
Author: hartrick24

nkp746 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went with a blue color- it just struck me as
> looking good. I did use a forest green on my
> previous layout. Now I need to get something hung
> below the fascia to hide the darn mess I have
> under the layout!

Rob, I've never seen a blue one before and it looks fantastic...

Steve

Date: 08/02/17 17:43
Author: hartrick24

Knowing you Paul what ever color you pick it will look great...

Steve

Date: 08/03/17 04:53

The blue is pretty and matches the backdrops, but it's a bit "bold". Doing a more grayish blue might compliment the layout well without drawing as much attention. The best fascia's I've seen, like David Barrow's CT&SF and Rob Spanglers wp8thsub matche the scenery theme but were a bit more muted as to compliment without drawing too much attention away from the trains and the scenes themselves, which are the focus of any layout. One guy on MRH forums has these huge rivets along his fascia which is a semi rust color. Cool looking yes, but way too much of an attention getter when the trains are suppose to get the attention.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/25/17 05:30
Author: RGDave

I use a medium gray with lots of blue mixed in on the Onondaga Cutoff. This color accents Conrail Blue and my northeastern scenery nicely, and also reminds me of the color of the enamel paints that are used in locomotive cabs that I've been in. It also tends to blend in nicely in the background of photographs.

Good discussion!

~RGDave
http://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 08/25/17 07:32

Hah, that Syracuse sign looks red but it's probably the lighting in the photo cause their color is orange! Go Orangemen! Daft orange mascot! LOL

Cheers, Jim Fitch

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds