Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Model Railroading > We Received a Donation Containing a Dangerous Substance

Date: 07/27/17 04:16
We Received a Donation Containing a Dangerous Substance
Author: Larry020

I suggested that we should slowly and carefully empty them one shot glass at a time...

Larry

Date: 07/27/17 04:21
Re: We Received a Donation Containing a Dangerous Substance

If I can not find someone at the Museum willing to properly dispose of the contents, I'll just have to look up the proper disposal method, and follow the instructions.  

Larry

Date: 07/27/17 04:30
Author: SPDRGWfan

They say water can be dangerous in large doses too! =P

I think I recall seeing the ads for the decanter train in MR many years ago - maybe 1970's or early 1980's?

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 07/27/17 04:44

The donor said her Father bought it about 30 years ago.  My Dad bought just the caboose.  

Larry

Date: 07/27/17 09:20
Author: VunderBob

I have lots of chemical engineering experience converting ethyl alcohol into urine...

Date: 07/27/17 09:51

So are those Jim Beam decanters?

Date: 07/27/17 10:15

Yes, Jim Beam Whiskey.  The caboose is still sealed.  I may have broken the seal on the locomotive when I unscrewed the smokestack.  The passenger cars each have liquid in them.  I carefully tugged at the covers to no avail, I didn't want to break anything.  

Larry

Date: 07/27/17 11:43

> I may have broken the seal on the locomotive when I unscrewed the smokestack.

You know what that means! :-p

Date: 07/27/17 17:54
Author: CPRR

The same set is on eBay for $60...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/27/17 23:34
Author: SWChief

You can use the contents to strip paint off of other models. Just don't know if that project will finish well or on-time, if at all.

Greg

Date: 07/28/17 06:19
Author: march_hare

This toxic, highly flammable material (UN Haz code 1987) must be carefully managed, but it is amenable to a variety of biological treatment processes.  Treatment byproducts are typically discharged to a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) as defined in the Clean Water Act of 1970.

I have several decades of experience in this subject area.  References are available upon request.

As a general rule, regulators no longer accept the notion that "dilution is the solution to pollution."  However, dilution with various carbonated waters, fruit extracts, and other aqueous-phase liquids can be permitted if it can be shown to aid in the treatment process.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds