Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Model Railroading > Narrow Gauge at Bitter Creek (Live Steam)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/15/17 11:01
Narrow Gauge at Bitter Creek (Live Steam)
Author: Harlock

We had our annual narrow gauge meet at the Bitter Creek Western Railroad in Arroyo Grande, CA. Much fine model engineering, BS sessions and good food were had. I did not bring my own locomotive and train this time as I have been traveling (see the International forum) and I needed a break. But it gave me more time to take pictures.

BCWRR is a private railroad located on approximately 7 1/2 acres.

I'll start with some general views of the steam bay early morning when all the equipment is in. Mostly Colorado prototypes with some 2ft gauge and other items thrown in. We've had a spectacular array of stuff come and go over the years, and although some folks from years past are no longer with us or no longer traveling widely, there have been a number of new engines completed to take their place in great style.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 08/15/17 11:04
Re: Narrow Gauge at Bitter Creek (Live Steam)
Author: Finderskeepers

Oh wow! beautiful models, all of them!

Date: 08/15/17 11:05

C-19 Rio Grande Southern #41 hails from Salinas, CA. and sees a lot of mileage on a lot of tracks. It was built by Ken Burns, Kim Beard and a couple of other folks. It is naturally weathered from coal firing and use and very much looks the part of a prototypical engine in the twilight years of Colorado Narrow Gauge.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/17 11:13 by Harlock.

Date: 08/15/17 11:08

Emily is a 3 3/4" scale (2ft gauge prototype) locomotive owned by Jeff and Kevin Tolan. It was one of the first Keith Watson designs built in the US. Keith Watson of Watto Engineering in Australia has built and inspired many large scale locos over the years.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:12

Recently completed by Steve Nelson is D&RGW locomotive #362, An outside frame C-21. It is beautifully detailed.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/17 11:59 by Harlock.

Date: 08/15/17 11:20

RGS #20 is a C-19 owned by Doug Maywald and was rebuilt previously by Jack Bodenmann. It was originally built by a commercial machine shop. Tom Artzburger of Hartford shops sells the plans and castings. There are quite a few of these out there now.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:24

Here's some scenic shots.

The layout is uni-directional but loops over itself many times so that you are always seeing someone else coming and going on adjacent tracks. There are three tunnels, many bridges and the big trestle.

The railroad began in the early 80s as a bare patch of sloping hillside. All the contours are man made and all of the trees were planted. It is now a 'magic kingdom' paradise thanks to the hard work of many individuals. The railroad is on its second owner after its founder, Doug Chancey, passed away in 1999.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:28

#9, the "JW Sessums" was completed earlier this year by Erin Swain, who is also a full time BNSF locomotive engineer out of Arizona. This locomotive was started as a 9" gauge engine by legendary live steamer and hollywood model artist Jack Sessums. (hence the #9) It was re-gauged and completed by Erin over the last 5 or so years.

Some of the cab jewelry is made by Larry Fisher.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:32

Locomotive #223 is a C-16 Consolidation built by Jimmy Booth, whom Sn3 modelers may know as one of the proprietors of P.B.L. (that ad on the back of every Gazette)

The real #223 is being restored in Ogden, UT. one time someone mistook one of my night photos for the real thing and thought it had been completed!

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/17 12:01 by Harlock.

Date: 08/15/17 11:34

RGS #22 is another C-19 from Tom Artzburger, built by Dave Fontes. It has a Keim steam pump on it which sounds exactly like the prototype one-lunger westinghouse.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:37

This is a MEG Steam Uncle Sam, owned and extensively rebuilt by Jim Sabin. The Uncle Sam is a large scale 0-4-0. I own a MEG Wendy, which is the same basic chassis.

MEG stands for Montreal Engineering Group, which was owned by Dougal Hubner. I believe this engine was the factory demo model. MEG is no longer in business but there are a number of MEG Wendy engines still being built from plans and castings, and many more out there.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:39

A lot of nice rolling stock tends to show up as well. This is a new 2 1/2" scale tank car completed by Jeff and Kevin Tolan, on a Pacific Coast RR prototype. I have been inspired to build a similar car for my own train.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:42

This is an Allen Models 0-4-2 Chloe completed by Jeff and Kevin Tolan. The Chloe is patterned after Ward Kimball's 3ft gauge "Chloe" now being restored by the Orange Empire Railroad Museum. The Chloe plans and castings are still available from Allen Models of Nevada, and is a good beginner's engine owing to its small size.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:44

Here is a large narrow gauge diesel prototype, from the White Pass & Yukon. This engine belongs to BCWRR railroad owner Karl Hovanitz.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:47

This Shay is not live steam but it is a well built outline, with a kubota tractor motor and hydraulic drive. It is actually set up so that it can be converted to steam in the future, whenever the owner can afford the boiler! As evenings commence it becomes the 'stuffy train' with stuffed animals for his daughter and friends.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:50

Random stuff:

Photo 1: Another pic of RGS #41 on a steamy overcast morning.

Photo 2: Jerry Roseborough's Standard gauge interloper hauling firewood resulting from downed trees.

Photo 3: 2 1/2" scale Sumpter Valley critter owned by Jeff Tolan.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 11:51

To end, here is a photo of the newly anointed "Lizardhead Pass" summit tunnel!

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/15/17 12:52
Author: atsffan

Harlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's some scenic shots.
>
> The layout is uni-directional but loops over
> itself many times so that you are always seeing
> someone else coming and going on adjacent tracks.
> There are three tunnels, many bridges and the big
> trestle.
>
> The railroad began in the early 80s as a bare
> patch of sloping hillside. All the contours are
> man made and all of the trees were planted. It
> is now a 'magic kingdom' paradise thanks to the
> hard work of many individuals. The railroad is on
> its second owner after its founder, Doug Chancey,
> passed away in 1999.

Is the founder, Doug Chancey, the individual that also had/has a nice HO (and I believe O scale) layout on the property? If so, I remember going there back in the late 70s, when I was a student at Cal Poly.

Date: 08/15/17 14:11

atsffan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the founder, Doug Chancey, the individual that
> also had/has a nice HO (and I believe O scale)
> layout on the property? If so, I remember going
> there back in the late 70s, when I was a student
> at Cal Poly.

Yes. In fact, Bitter Creek was originally named after his basement layout, the San Luis Southern.

It is O and HO and it actually still exists. His widow still lives in the house. I have been to see it, one time when we were rained out and had time to kill. It is all fairly unfinished but you could tell he dreamed big. What was there was nicely done. The HO was more complete than the O.

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/16/17 21:25
Author: tomstp

Doug Chancey was a heck of a nice man and I enjoyed going there. Back in those days the engine terminal was full of 4-8-4's, 2-8-2 ,4-6-2 and smaller engines.

Doug came to Piddy Tx to Roy Pickards track every year along with a lot friends. Always enjoyed see those guus.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1768 seconds