Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > Someone wanna tell me why???

Date: 10/25/01 19:46
Someone wanna tell me why???
Author: cencalrails

Atlas HO DASH 8-32BHW, Athearn F59PHI...Both in Amtrak California....

And NO ONE makes Amtrak California cars (Brass doesn't count as 95% of modelers can't afford brass)

Why?

Date: 10/25/01 20:22
RE: Someone wanna tell me why???
Author: puckeringswine

If they build it we will buy! and I hope they come with doors that are stuck open just like the real cars.

Date: 10/25/01 20:31

You and me both, I read in some yahoo train club that Athearn was developing the cars...I e-mailed them..and got a "We are working on several new car designs." but they wouldn't confirm NOR deny.

Date: 10/25/01 21:19
Author: Bob_In_Maine

At the Chicago trade show, I had a rather heated discussion with the Athearn folks about all of the F59 paint schemes. It went like this: You are making a fine engine but nothing for it to pull. Therefore, when it doesn't sell as well as expected, you will naturally think we buyers are not interested and stop making the loco. The REAL reason it does not sell is that no one makes the cars! This is similar to Walthers making the F40 for Metra, but no bi-level gallery cars.

One of the Athearn reps got very testy when questioned about cars for the F59, to which my companion replied, "Maybe you should just get Walthers to make the cars!"

The AMT unit for Montreal is beautiful... no cars for that either!

Date: 10/25/01 21:44
Author: cnerr

Hey Dave, make that 96%. The only Brass piece I have is a WP 2-8-2 and I am having to make payments on that. I have to agree that a lack of good commuter cars is a problem, but there is hope for people looking for Bombardier Bi-levels, albeit an expensive craftsman project. Check out: <a href="http://ihphobby.tripod.com&quot;&gt;IHP Hobby</a>. I am considering building an Altamont Commuter Express just for fun. (Then it'll sit on a shelf for a few months, then I'll get tired of looking at it, then I'll offer it for sale, just like my Amtrak San Joaquin I got rid of last night). As for Amtrak California Cars though, they should come with a bottle of Urine/ Septic tank stench that you can pour a drop of just inside the stuck open doors to make them "Really" authentic. (Man I don't miss working those rolling scrap piles). Those cars are prime examples of your tax dollars wasted. They should have bought Bombardier Bi-Levels. Alas, they do need to be produced in HO to go with the Amtrak California engines available as there is a big need for those and Caltrain cars to satisfy everyones tastes. I just hope they are affordable. IHP is a step in the right direction, but are expensive and hard to build. I just hope someone at Walthers or Athearn, maybe even Atlas is listening. I am sure as the first foray into HO passenger cars, Atlas could do a nice job on them. While I wouldn't buy Amtrak California stuff, I too have my fingers crossed for you hopefuls out there.

Date: 10/25/01 21:52

Sure Tom..do ACE..but whacha gonna do for power???

Date: 10/26/01 00:55
Author: southlandwarrior

Like you guys with the CalCars, I am hoping for some Smurfliner cars for my Athearn dustbuster to pull... I would *think* Walthers would get on the ball with these as they seem like the most qualified for the task, since they've already done the Superliners (and are nicely done, too, I might add).

Hey, here's an idea...

Perhaps in the meantime you could replicate the Coast Starlight, as Walthers already makes every car you typically see in its consist (exception being the Hi-level Pacific Parlour, d'oh! Train Station Products, what's up!?!?). And it's not uncommon to see CDTX units in the power consist of trains 11 and 14; on more than one occasion, I have seen train 11 with 2 Amtrak California F59s acting as sole power. Have also seen 2 blue-and-sliver F59s heading up the consist as well, and CDTX 2051 (the Dash 8) has often found its way onto the Starlight. So in the meantime, or at least until someone finally releases the Cal/Surf cars, prototypical use of those locomotives is still possible...

Just a thought...

--Jim

Date: 10/26/01 04:55
Author: cnerr

I saw somewhere (I am thinking IHP but will dig up the info for you) that a company is making Resin bodies for Boise built F40ph-3's (or whatever ACE's units are called) to fit on Athearn chassis. I'll see what I can find for you. It would be neat to have an ACE train at the club wouldn't it? (Unless you're Paul who would most likely be commissioned to paint said train thus causing him to probably finally snap my neck for asking).

Date: 10/26/01 07:29

Southland Warior: Yup, using them with the Coast Starlight did cross my mind<G>

Tom: F40PH-3C's is what ACE calls them, I am kicking myself too, back when I was ACE's photographer, I had an opportunity to get a Operating manual for one and never did.

Did Paul tell you that your CCT 70 was done and just needed the decoder? He is currently doing my 3 SP SD9's, says he is gonna do one of them in Kodachrome...I said Cool!

Date: 10/26/01 15:38
Author: neilgross

You could also run Walthers Horizon Fleet cars behind Amtrak California engines. The F59PHIs were delivered in late 1994, IIRC, but the Cal Cars didn't come until Spring 1995, so there was a period when F59s were pulling Horizon Fleet cars, at least on the San Joaquins and Capitols. Also, I think the San Joaquins used Horizon Fleet cars even after the Cal Cars started arriving and I have seen the repainted P32-8BWHs pulling Horizon Fleet equipped San Joaquins.

Also, if you're really desperate (and skilled), you could scratchbuild Cal Cars. Plans appeared in MR--the November 1997 issue I think.

As for the reason Cal Cars don't exist in model form, maybe the manufacturers think the market is too small. Probably few people outside California would buy these cars, but then how many people outside California would Amtrak California engines? I myself would buy at least four Cal Cars, and since I plan to buy an Atlas P32 and probably another F59 or two to go along with the F59 I already have, I would probably buy several more cars to go behind those additional engines.

Date: 10/26/01 19:27
Author: BarryDraper

There seem to be a lot of us that would buy California Cars/ Surfliners and/or Bombairdier(SP?) cars. We should all email Walthers and Athearn with polite requests and one of them might get the idea that the cars will sell.

Date: 10/26/01 19:50
Author: BarryDraper

Just checked Walthers web site and they have a new products survey at
http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/survey . How many of you have filled it out and requested these cars? Let's do it!

Date: 10/26/01 22:31

Hiya Barry...been there done that already<G>

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds