Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > MTH UP SD70M

Date: 10/30/01 14:28
MTH UP SD70M
Author: ns-dash8

Hi:
Has anyone heard when the new MTH UP SD70M will be out?
Any one no the the new features it will have?
Thanks,
ns-dash8

Date: 10/31/01 19:11
RE: MTH UP SD70M
Author: TehachapiKid

I just saw that SD70 last Friday. Mike Wolf was giving a demonstration at Just Trains in Concord ,CA. I know the AC6000 is released (see E-bay). The features are that it has proto 2.0 - which means if you want to operate all the options you'll have to buy all the separate remotes and adapters. It's a shame that K-line ,Atlas ,Weaver and 3rd Rail are using Lionel's Command Control and MTH has to be the "macintosh" of model railroading. Anyway's - back to that SD70 , It's got the lightning stripe and they've added the texture to the walkways as well as windshield wipers - still not as good as AtlasO , because Mike Wolf is shying away from the area of accuracy and concentrating on the Toy Train part of Model railroading.
I've decided against proto 2.0 and I really don't think it's any better than Command Control by Lionel. But because of Mike Wolf's hatred for Lionel He would never use their system - I think this will cost Him some business.

Date: 10/31/01 19:36

Hi;
Thanks for the responce.
Does it have the wings on the nose?
And how long is it?
Thanks,
ns-dash8

Date: 11/01/01 16:58

It's got the wings on the nose and is scale length - pretty much the same as the BNSF heritage2 SD60M or SD70M that they previously released.

Date: 11/01/01 17:39

Hi;
Thanks for all your help!.
Also will this run on Atlas O O-36 curves?
and how much detil does it have?
Thanks,
ns-dash8

Date: 11/01/01 23:59
Author: hogger

The MTH SD70 should run on the 036 track. The problem I see with the SD70 is, its not an SD70. Mike has taken the easy way out and just put the SD70 name on the SD60. I say this with the idea that the picture in the catalog shows an SD60 long hood. I have no idea if the door on the nose has been put on the correct side or not. The long hood shown is the SD60 version. MTH has been known to take short cuts on other products. I do have to say that MTH does do a nice job of decoration. I guess it's up to each individual on how much or how little accuracy they will except.

Greg Elems

Date: 11/02/01 15:50

Hi;
Hogger thats not the actual picture in the catalog.
Thanks,
ns-dash8

Date: 11/04/01 10:54

Hi,

Since that isn't the actual picture in the catalog, did they do the engine correctly? Has anyone seen an actual production model? It is quite common for MTH to use HO models for their catalog. I quit buying MTH geeps since they went to the Railking trucks, which has less detail and too small a wheel base. Just wondering. If MTH does do the SD70M right, I may actually get one.

hogger

Date: 11/04/01 18:21

I'm with you hogger. When I spoke with Mike Wolf - I mentioned that I won't buy anymore 3rail until I first see it! He didn't like that. But MTH has cut corners in the past - not painting the handrails, fuel tanks that are too small & the trucks on the GP60M are terrible!
And the latest thing being the Handrails on the SD60's. Where the dynamic brake hump is on the the side they didn't even bother to bend the handrails correctly. Did you see the 89foot Auto Carriers? The actual car is scale - but the trucks ruined the whole car. I cut up two of mine and lowered them - what a difference!

Date: 11/04/01 20:49

I have converted only one MTH car to scale so far. I do have three others in the works though. I didn't know that his auto racks were scale length. They look terrible in the catalog so I ignored them. As far as I was concerned, even the 3 rail stuff falls short many times from MTH. With both 2 and 3 rail models, I do use MTH very selectively. With Atlas O out there, we have a company that does accurate models and offers a choice for those of us who like scale equipment.

hogger

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds