Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Model Railroading > converting N scale plans to HO Scale

Date: 11/08/01 19:57
converting N scale plans to HO Scale
Author: stuart

i have been looking for model layout plan that i like in ho scale but have had no luck.
but i have found a n scale plan that i like but want to know how to convert it to ho scale?????
any ideas???
stuart in iowa

Date: 11/08/01 20:39
RE: converting N scale plans to HO Scale
Author: slimjim

Multiply every thing by 1.84.

Date: 11/09/01 05:49
Author: davef

Basically you'd double the plan. If the N scale plan is 3 by 6 feet for example, the HO plan would be around 6 by 12 feet. If the N scale curves are 11 inch radius, HO scale curves would be 22 inches,etc.

Date: 11/09/01 07:00
Author: wabash2800

You have to make allowances for aisles or pop ups if they are included in the plan. For example it there is a 3 foot aisle in the N scale plan and you roughly double the size for HO you may now have an aisle that's excessvie. However if you adjust the aisle down to the 3 feet actual people size, you have more room for the layout.

This usually isn't a problem. If you adjust from HO to N, then you have a problem!

Date: 11/09/01 17:57
Author: BarryDraper

The comment above about aisles is good and correct. You also have to think about access to tracks, structures, etc. that are set back from the edge of the layout. Again, a y=track that is 2 feet in and easilly reachable in N will become 4 feet and may be a problem in HO. None of this pervents the conversion from being a success, just thinks to think about.

Date: 11/10/01 13:02
Author: altburg

One thing to think about is a layout mounted on casters so it can be moved away from the wall but even better if you have the space is an access aisle between the back of the layout and the wall.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds