Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Model Railroading > 2017 Evanston Mountain States Free-mo setup photos

Date: 09/20/17 06:44
2017 Evanston Mountain States Free-mo setup photos
Author: grandeguy

Hello all,

Mountain States Free-mo hosted a setup at the Evanston Wyoming Roundhouse complex September 7-10 2017. There were participants from Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, California, British Columbia Canada and Montana. The setup was a 4 day run. We had a great time operating the layout and watching the UP action just outside of the door.We also had a nice signaled section of the setup that worked well. Here are a few photos I took.

Dave Dane Mountain States Free-mo Colorado Division

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/17 07:28 by grandeguy.

Date: 09/20/17 07:29
Re: 2017 Evanston Mountain States Free-mo setup photos
Author: rnb3

Hey Dave, still the premier Freemo guy in Colorado! Keep it up! Did the boss comp some of your trip for that 3rd picture? Glad to hear that you got 4 days, its hard to turn and burn a set up. The extra time is really a bonus for all the effort to set up.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 09/20/17 07:36
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the invite Dave. Our UPHS treasurer was there to represent our organization as well. Glad you all had a great time.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/20/17 08:45
Author: fbe

Dave,

I can add a few more of the Protoloads Boeing train making a traverse of the set up. I can say it never had a derailment in over an hour of operation. Something to be said for weighted cars and careful set up proceedures.

Alan

Date: 09/20/17 09:14
Author: SPDRGWfan

Nice. What are the coal cars in that D&RGW coal train?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 09/20/17 10:04

Jim,

That was a 30 car Exactrail Grande train that one of the Free-mo guys from Utah had. It was spectacular.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/17 10:05 by grandeguy.

Date: 09/20/17 10:06

Alan,

I was hoping you would post some photos. That Boeing train is awesome.

Dave

Date: 09/20/17 13:31
Author: MrMRL

Nice pics folks! Great to see so many different groups coming together to really take advantage of the free-mo concept of layout improvisation. Any more views from the setup or an overall layout plan would be great to see!

Mr. MRL

Date: 09/20/17 13:55
Author: TCnR

Looks great. Nice location as well.
t4p.

Date: 09/20/17 18:28

Better than a nice location, it is a great location. Right on the Interstate, reasonable rate motels, variety of good eats, plenty of set up time to play. Reasonably flat floor and electricity around the walls and in the floor, window l8ghting and overhead lights as well.

Date: 09/20/17 20:37
FBE...about those Boeing cars...
Author: Sasquatch

FBE, where did you get the truncated Boeing hoods for your fuselage cars? Or perhaps you scratchbuilt them? They sure look nice!

-Tom

Date: 09/20/17 21:30
Author: atsf121

Excellent photos, looks like a great setup.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/21/17 05:26

Robbie,

Here is a shot of the Evanston setup diagram. Also a couple more random pictures. We didnt get an overall picture of the setup this year. It was large.

Dave Dane

Date: 09/21/17 07:40
Author: SPDRGWfan

grandeguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
>
> That was a 30 car Exactrail Grande train that
> one of the Free-mo guys from Utah had. It was
> spectacular.
>
> Dave

Dave,

If you have any more of the Rio Grande coal train, I'd love to see them.

I have managed to collect 29 of the ExactRail coal cars so far, including 23 of the 1972 16xxx series and 6 of the 1979 12xxx series. The 1982 12xxx series were a little too new for my late 1970's focus.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 09/21/17 10:00
Re: FBE...about those Boeing cars...

The fuselages, long flat and buffer flat withvthe parts box come from Protoloads in NC. The fuselages are slightly underscale but Boeing builds them in a number of lengths to meet customers' needs.

Currently the models are out of production and are limited quantity runs when they are made.

There is a company making only the fuselages with 3D printing which are full scale. These do require a lot of finish work.

Sasquatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FBE, where did you get the truncated Boeing hoods
> for your fuselage cars? Or perhaps you
> scratchbuilt them? They sure look nice!
>
> -Tom

Date: 09/21/17 14:17
Re: FBE...about those Boeing cars...
Author: Sasquatch

Thanks FBE. I see J-trains all the time along Puget Sound and up in Stevens Pass; your models look just like the real thing...very cool!

-Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds