Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Model Railroading > From the RIPs to the One Spot

Date: 09/21/17 09:22
From the RIPs to the One Spot
Author: Hookdragkick

I bought a beat up Overland ATSF  CE8/CE11  caboose about a year ago with obvious signs of damage. The cab must of been dropped. 
One step popped off from its solder weld; one rain gutter/lip on the roof was pulled back; the roof ends were loose and one overhead step light missing. 

So far (in 1.5 days) , I've removed one end.  Steps, etched walkway (incorrect Apex style) and end cage (filed off all the flashing deleted one bar. Smoke jack and toilet vent removed. Smoke jack will be raised and vent turned so openings face the car sides, not car ends. Sinclair antenna deleted (was smashed) along with mirrors. All windows will be plated over and walking exterior surfaces relaced with Morton boards. End markers removed (they are cast to resemble full markers with red lens. New markers will be empty housings with wires. 

The identity of which cab it'll be painted for will remain secret for now. This is my 2nd attempt at scratch-building parts to rehab a car... it's a pain in the arse. I have a bunch of photos but i'll post three that show the jist of things. 

Date: 09/21/17 11:51
Re: From the RIPs to the One Spot
Author: RGDave

So far so good! A labor of love there, it's going to be sharp when it's complete.

~RGDave

Date: 09/21/17 12:14
Author: Hookdragkick

@ RGDave. Thanks. I've gathered inspiration from your many threads. I don't have a layout, I just like having some busy work when I have some downtime. Someone else can benefit later.

Date: 09/22/17 07:35
Author: ghemr

Be sure to take photos of the finished product!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0302 seconds