Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Model Railroading > Question about Pan Pastels and Dullcote

Date: 10/09/17 13:34
Question about Pan Pastels and Dullcote
Author: KM-ML4000

I have recently started experimenting with Pan Pastels for weathering. I enjoy working with the media, but most of the dirt effects disappear or become more subtle after applying Testors Dullcote. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way the two mediums interact?

KM-OUT?

Date: 10/09/17 16:12
Re: Question about Pan Pastels and Dullcote
Author: TCnR

In general yes, that's the nature of the chalk and the air pressure blowing on the top coat. General theory is to use more chalk and then add more layers. It doesn't provide a 'snappy' weathering texture, it looks pretty subtle but grimy.

Haven't used them for quite a while but that's been the story about them the whole time.

similar question about weathering with pastel/chalks with some photos and stories:

Date: 08/10/17 10:20
Thinking about

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4356185,4356436#msg-4356436

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/17 16:15 by TCnR.

Date: 10/09/17 16:27
Author: DKay

Check out Roger's website,you might find some tips.He has a DVD available.He did a very informative clinic at the recent Narrow Gauge convention in Denver.
http://www.stoneycreekdesigns.com/
Regards,DK

Date: 10/10/17 00:18
Author: rschonfelder

I put dullcote on first and then let it dry slightly but then put on the pastels. Once I am happy with things, then I spray a light coat with very low pressure.

Because the dullcote is still not fully dry, the pastels have something to key to.

Rick

Date: 10/10/17 01:33
Author: Lighter

This is mostly pastel. Hazzy coat of dilute blue sprayed on to fade the factory paint. The rest of the weathering, including the trucks, is a combination of AIM and CMK pastels. NO TOP COAT. I just don't handle my finished models enough to require "setting" the pastels.

Date: 10/12/17 04:17
Author: JUTower

I have observed this same phenomenon with PanPastels, to the point that I would overdo the weathering so that what remains is nice & subtle. Anymore, I always apply a clear coat layer first in order to give the pastels something to stick to. Occasionally I will spray only the roof, trucks, and pilots with Dullcote to give the impression that the paint is still reasonably fresh.

That said, I recently discovered something useful with PanPastels - if you use a firmer applicator, like a foam makeup sponge or a microbrush, you can apply a much heavier coating where desired.

Date: 10/12/17 11:54
Author: Notch16

Predicting the amount of fade that a topcoat will cause is half of the art to pastels.

I used to apply chalk a little heavy, topcoat with Micro Scale flat finish, then apply chalk again before the paint had cured but was dry to the touch. That seemed to add a little texture that the overcoat had killed. (The ancient PA is the example here.) Lately I've also been avoiding topcoats and handling. For the roof streaks on the FP7 I added chalk, then streaked with a stiff dry brush moistened with a touch of water. That tended to set the chalk without dulling the effect. Exhaust soot is just black chalk/pastel, applied repeatedly for buildup and then left alone.

It's not possible for every effect to avoid handling damage, so for undercarriage I still am using paint and chalk in combo. But dry pastels for roof effects like the FP7's will survive light dusting with a soft brush, and if they get damaged by handling, you can start over... or repair the damage if you're lucky.

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/17 11:56 by Notch16.

Date: 10/12/17 14:41
Author: DRGW5502

Nicely done!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds