Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Model Railroading > athearn genesis fp7

Date: 10/10/17 13:16
athearn genesis fp7
Author: schneid

Do these units have lighted number board?

thanks, paul

Date: 10/10/17 13:19
Re: athearn genesis fp7
Author: KM-ML4000

Absolutely no lighted number boards.

Date: 10/12/17 12:14
Author: Josta

I can't believe that the supposedly top-of-the-line Genesis units fail to have something as basic as lighted numberboards. I have lesser-expensive models and the numberboards light up!

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 10/13/17 04:18
Author: SPDRGWfan

John, would that stop you from buying them if they are the best HO FP7A on the market? You know, we have more nice models now than ever in the history of the hobby yet some are still not happy. SMH.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 10/13/17 16:38
Author: fbe

When Highliners cut the molds they provided the option of F7 style front number boards or F3 side mount number boards. Adding a lighted option for both styles to the same shell would require some sophisticated clear inserts which might mar the smooth shapes of the nose. The alternative would be a pair of expensive full bodies.

Modification of the opaque number board castings for lighting will prove difficult.

Date: 10/14/17 13:02
Author: WP282

The Genesis FP7’s, like the F7’s, have a clear plastic face. It may be possible to remove the faceplate and drill out the number board for lighting, then replace the clear faceplate.
I had to remove it to change numbers on some F units. The tip of an Xacto #11 works to pop the clear plastic out, and canopy glue secures it.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/14/17 13:08
Author: ESPEE5318

When the Highliner tooling as made the micro LED/circuitry technology that we have today did not even exist in the hobby, things have come a long way. Today Athearn could tool number boards with the back hollowed out for micro LEDs, as much I don't care for lighted number boards considering what these things cost today I can understand people expecting them at that price point........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/17 13:23 by ESPEE5318.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds