Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Upgrading the speakers in a IM HO T4

Date: 10/14/17 09:52
Upgrading the speakers in a IM HO T4
Author: brfriedm

So one thing I noticed in the latest releases of both the ST and IM T4's is the sound is very good but I felt they lacked allot of bass. Both products use dual cube speakers but my experiences with cube speakers are the lack of bass. I decided to experiment and add some new speakers to the IM as they are easy to work with. The rear hatch just lifts off and the speakers are right there. The speakers are screwed down and can be removed in a matter of seconds.

I have been using lately some new speakers from ZIMO called double dumbo speakers and the sound is incredible with this line. The ZIMO model I had would not fit into the space for the IM T4 so I checked out the ZIMO line and they had another model that fits perfectly. I ordered a couple and installed one and the sound is outstanding with excellent bass. I have since installed these ZIMO double dumbo speakers in all my IM's and am quite pleased. You may want to try some. The other thing I noticed is that it is very easy to overdrive the factory speakers necessitating turning them down but with the ZIMO's, they are built to handle the output much better from the Loksound sound decoders.

Bruce

1st picture is the factory installed dual cube speakers
2nd picture is the ZIMO double dumbo installed in its place
3rd picture is a comparison of the old versus the new speaker. Allot more surface area. These speakers from ZIMO are 4ohm and 2 watts.

Date: 10/14/17 09:54
Re: Upgrading the speakers in a IM HO T4
Author: brfriedm

The packaging if u want to order some.

Have a good weekend.

Bruce

Date: 10/14/17 18:50
Author: cchan006

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The packaging if u want to order some.
>
> Have a good weekend.
>
> Bruce

Thanks for your Scale Trains vs. Intermountain review of the Tier 4s.

Out in the field, the GE Tier 4's lack of bass from the prototypes is quite striking compared to the GEVOs and C44ACs, especially when they accelerate. I have some video clips posted elsewhere and even the EMDs drown out the GE T4 prime mover sounds. If I were to run a model of GE Tier 4s, I wouldn't worry about improving the bass response from the speakers, although it probably doesn't hurt. GEVOs, on the other hand...

Date: 10/14/17 22:45
Author: Foamductor

Between the compound turbocharging and the common-rail fuel injection system allowing for multiple injection shots per injection events, the days of throaty GE exhaust sound are over.

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> brfriedm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The packaging if u want to order some.
> >
> > Have a good weekend.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Thanks for your Scale Trains vs. Intermountain
> review of the Tier 4s.
>
> Out in the field, the GE Tier 4's lack of bass
> from the prototypes is quite striking compared to
> the GEVOs and C44ACs, especially when they
> accelerate. I have some video clips posted
> elsewhere and even the EMDs drown out the GE T4
> prime mover sounds. If I were to run a model of GE
> Tier 4s, I wouldn't worry about improving the bass
> response from the speakers, although it probably
> doesn't hurt. GEVOs, on the other hand...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds