Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Model Railroading > Can Anyone ID this Sound Decoder

Date: 10/16/17 16:13
Can Anyone ID this Sound Decoder
Author: Charles

It is a steam sound decoder. It has a 9-pin plug and a 3-pin plug. The 3-pin is used for the speaker and chuff sensor.

I am unable to read any meaningful information from it. When plugged into a tester, the sounds come on and motor goes to full speed, but no other control.

Decoder Pro shows a manufacturer ID of 255, which basically means it can't read it.

Charles

Date: 10/16/17 16:36
Re: Can Anyone ID this Sound Decoder
Author: norm1153

From the looks of it, the plastic covering the decoder is stretched. Very carefully, you might take a small scissors and pierce where it is clearly stretched and not touching anything underneath. That could also be determined by just pressing down a little to see where that covering "gives."

Date: 10/16/17 16:45

I went ahead and removed the shrink wrap. Still no help, no identifying markings.

Charles

Date: 10/16/17 16:57
Author: fbe

The covering plastic is shrink wrap and always looks stretched. Most shrink wrapped decoders commonly carry a message to leave the wrapping on. If you want to remove it to check for burned components you can use a sharp blade to slit down the side then use kapton tape over the shrink wrap to restore that.

You might try CV8=8 to see if that will do a factory reset which might be easier for decoder pro to read.

Let us know.

Date: 10/16/17 17:48

I tried both CV8 = 8, and CV30 = 2, neither one worked. I tried reading the CV's using both Decoder Pro and by using a NCE PowerCab. No luck. Since I figured the decoder is shot any where, I did remove the shrink wrap, but there is no other ID markings. It will be replaced with a different decoder.

Charles

Date: 10/16/17 17:49
Author: ESPEE5318

Looks like old Soundtraxx to me which model? The ones I fooled with did not have plugs...........Joe

Date: 10/17/17 04:59
Author: herronpeter

I agree with old Sountraxx. Did you try hooking it up to JMRI and let it see if it can tell you what it is? Should at least get you the manufacturer.

Peter

Date: 10/17/17 05:12
Author: Frank30

Definitely original Soundtrass steam from around 1996, which would mean
it is no longer supported by them.
Frank30

Date: 10/17/17 06:45
Author: rschonfelder

I wouldn't be that freaked out over removing the shrink wrap. It is only there to protect against inadvertent contact from any lose uninsulated wire. It can be replaced with a food cling wrap or any electrical tape. I would use Tamiya masking tape if I had to remove the shrink wrap.

Rick

Date: 10/17/17 08:32
Author: BAB

And makes it easy to find the component that one just shorted out by the melted shrink wrap. Found out where the amp was that way.

Date: 10/17/17 10:48

herronpeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with old Sountraxx. Did you try hooking
> it up to JMRI and let it see if it can tell you
> what it is? Should at least get you the
> manufacturer.
>
> Peter

Yes, I did. It came up with ID of 255.

Charles

Date: 10/17/17 10:49

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And makes it easy to find the component that one
> just shorted out by the melted shrink wrap. Found
> out where the amp was that way.

No burn marks on the shrink wrap.

Charles

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds