Home Open Account Help 166 users online

Model Railroading > Thinner for Floquil paints

Date: 11/14/17 18:58
Thinner for Floquil paints
Author: Valleyman

I currently have a good supply of Floquil paint. I bought a bunch when I heard it was going away. My problem is, finding a good thinner to mix with my paint before spaying. Does anyone have recommendations for thinner?

Thanks Valleyman

Date: 11/14/17 19:13
Re: Thinner for Floquil paints
Author: ESPEE5318

I always used lacquer thinner, until it got reformulated in California recent years but I was done with floquil by then............Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/17 19:18 by ESPEE5318.

Date: 11/14/17 21:02
Author: CR6079

Acrylic enamel reducer is what I use for mixing, found at most automotive paint stores in a gallon size and lasts a long time.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/14/17 21:21
Author: BNSF-E9

I still use lacquer thinner, and it seems to work well.

Date: 11/14/17 22:03
Author: MojaveBill

I still have some Diosol left...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/15/17 06:37
Author: SPDRGWfan

I believe the primary ingredient in Diosol is Toluene - something I used to evaluate with a Gas Chromatograph back in my soil vapor survey days as a field geologist. It's part of the petroleum based BTEX suite of VOC compounds (Benzene, Ethyl Benzene, Toluene and Xylenes) commonly used in paint thinners. Bad for you so respirator and venting is necessary.

The whole issue of painting models with VOC based paints has kept me from doing any painting during the past 10 years as I haven't had a way of setting up a vented paint booth - hopefully that will change I and I begin to employ my airbrushes again in the coming months.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 11/15/17 08:33
Author: yvrr

Testors sells a product called Universal Enamel Thinner which is labeled to work with Testors, Model Master, and Floquil paints. I've been using it even before Floquil paint were discounted. If you hobby shop doesn't care it, Walthers does.

(I too bought a stash of Floquil when the word come out that Floquil was being discontinued.)

Jack Burgess

Date: 11/15/17 09:02
Author: tomstp

You can use Scalecoat's thinner. It works well and I have used it for years. The odd thing was Floquils thinner would not work with scalecoat paint.

Date: 11/15/17 09:58

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I have a couple good options. Just wanted to make sure I didn't ruin the paint that I have left, mixing it with the wrong thinner.

Valleyman

Date: 11/16/17 11:31
Author: march_hare

Actually, Floquil thinner is mostly a mixture of 3 closely related xylenes (close to toluene, but a little heavier). If your home depot carries cans labeled "xylol" it's basically the same stuff.

Other thinners also work, but I've always tried to stay as close to the original formula as possible.

Date: 11/16/17 12:46

Thanks for the info march_hare! Unfortunately living in California I may be limited in what my local paint stores are allowed to carry. However, I will check for xylol next chance I get.

Valleyman

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, Floquil thinner is mostly a mixture of 3
> closely related xylenes (close to toluene, but a
> little heavier). If your home depot carries cans
> labeled "xylol" it's basically the same stuff.
>
> Other thinners also work, but I've always tried to
> stay as close to the original formula as possible.

Date: 11/16/17 13:21
Author: march_hare

You may be able to find it marketed as something else, in a different part of the store.

A special effects/sculpture supply house might have it also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds