Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Model Railroading > The V&O Story

Date: 01/08/02 21:57
The V&O Story
Author: dangerboy81

Does anyone here have the new DVD The V&O story.I am wondering if it covers the era change to the late 70's that was covered in MR a while back.I have Great Model Railroads(the one with a 20 min feature)and enjoy that,but it would be nice to see how the layout had progressed in the last 20 years to its final incarnation.....Gotta get that DVD player soon!

Date: 01/08/02 22:11
RE: The V&O Story
Author: FJC

dangerboy81 wrote:
>
> Does anyone here have the new DVD The V&O story.I am wondering
> if it covers the era change to the late 70's that was covered
> in MR a while back.I have Great Model Railroads(the one with a
> 20 min feature)and enjoy that,but it would be nice to see how
> the layout had progressed in the last 20 years to its final
> incarnation.....Gotta get that DVD player soon!

I have the DVD, it's a good program, it shows the what the layout was like up to the end with the newer sections Allen started to build.

Date: 01/08/02 23:24
Author: trainz

What ever happened to that layout? I heard that all the locos and stuff were sold off.

Date: 01/09/02 05:12
Author: mgsrwy

trainz wrote:
>
> What ever happened to that layout? I heard that all the locos
> and stuff were sold off.

The layout was dismantled in the first half of 2001. The Elm Grove/Fullerton section was sold to a gentleman in Georgia. The Clintwood section was donated to the Howell Day Model RR Museum at NMRA headquarters in Chattanooga.

To the best of my knowledge Allen has retained most of his rolling stock and locos and probably most of the structures. He may sell selected pieces in the future depending on what is deemed surplus. He and his wife have built a new home in the Dayton area and a new layout is under construction/design. The new one will be based on the V&O Gauley Division which was immediately west of the Afton Division, starting at Kingswood Jct.

There is a Yahoogroup dedicated to the V&O. The Files section of that group contains numerous photos of the Afton Division taken in recent years. Everyone is invited to join. To subscribe send a blank email to: VandOHS-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Dave Matheny
VandOHS List Owner

Date: 01/09/02 09:25
Author: kwo

I'll second what FJC said. It's a good program and does show quite a bit of the new section of the layout. I'm anxious to see the new V&O emerge as it was the V&O series in RMC back in the mid-70's that really got me interested in modeling. I'd love to have a V&O engine or two on the layout also.

Date: 01/09/02 14:32
Author: mgsrwy

kwo wrote:
>
> I'd love to have a V&O engine or two on the layout also.
>

Not to rub it in but I was fortunate to have the opportunity to purchase V&O F7's 251 & 263 a few years ago. They're still plodding along on a friends layout to this day. Mostly, they see service on local freights although they have been pressed into helper service on occasion.

mgsrwy

Date: 01/09/02 16:36
Author: dangerboy81

Thanks for the info on that group.I just joined up!

Date: 01/09/02 16:49
RE: V&O / UTAH BELT
Author: altoona-keith

I'm with kwo. An RMC series in the 70's is what started it all for me too. I was fascinated (still am as a matter of fact) with the entire concept of the V&O. Everything I do today developing my freelanced line is in the mold of the V&O and Utah Belt (and more recently KevinB's GLE). They are the gold standards for freelanced lines in my opinion. I look forward to seeing pictures of the new V&O. They should be good for a couple more decades of "creativity fuel."

Keith M.
Altoona, PA

Date: 01/10/02 16:20
speaking of the Utah Belt
Author: CJ

Is there any sites out there that cover this model railroad?

thanks
Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0901 seconds