Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Model Railroading > The way were were

Date: 11/25/17 11:10
The way were were
Author: africansteam

Larry020's amusing post below marks an interesting perspective on what we now consider OK for discussion. Each of the comments was seen as acceptable humor. However, it wasn't always that way. I have a small collection of vintage Model Railroader magazines. One of them, from the early 1950's contains a look at a model railroad owned by a fellow named Dodd (sorry I don't recall the gentleman's first name nor the date of the issue I am citing), but one feature on the layout was a body of water held in check by a structure named Dodd dam.

Boy, did that elicit a slew of protest letters to the editor from the more conservative modelers of the time!

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/17 17:08 by africansteam.

Date: 11/25/17 14:52
Re: The way were were
Author: tehachapifan

Which brings to mind the whole dam tour scene from, what was it, Vegas Vacation?

Date: 11/25/17 15:13
Author: miralomarail

Yes, it was Quite common for layouts to have things like " The Broken Chair Co " anything for a Laugh

Date: 11/25/17 16:13
Author: MojaveBill

John Armstrong's wonderful O gauge layout had little signs with puns stashed all over it. Always good for a smile!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/25/17 19:46
Author: UPNW2-1083

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, it was Quite common for layouts to have
> things like " The Broken Chair Co " anything
> for a Laugh

Yeah, Tom we had the B.R. Oken Chair Co. and the Dodd Dam Power and Light Company on the Cajon Valley Railroad at Crain's Trains and Hobbies in La Puente Ca. I think there were several other industries with double entendre on the layout but I can't think of them at the moment.-BMT

Date: 11/25/17 19:48
Author: dan

put some burma shave signs up

Date: 11/25/17 20:29
Author: funnelfan

Law Offices of Dewey, Cheatum & Howe.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 11/25/17 21:03
Re: The way we were
Author: Larry020

Jack

A week ago (during the SP Convention), I finally had the opportunity to visit Verne Alexander's railroad, the Coleville, Republic and Palouse.  It was named after three towns in the Pacific Northwest, the area that he likes to model.  

I had some time off from work, and since idle hands are the devil's workshop, I started typing.  Originally it was an email that went out to friends (and with friends like me, you don't need enemies).  I debated with myself if I should post it here.  I was afraid the low brow humor was below the acceptable range and just a bit off topic.  I felt it would soon be deleted.  

Either the post was just within the acceptable range, or I've managed to lower the bar, or the moderator(s) are still away on a long Thanksgiving weekend.

ʎɹɹɐl

Post Script  It could have been worse, I could have included photos...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/17 20:08 by Larry020.

Date: 11/25/17 22:20
Author: wabash2800

Remember the Miracle Chair Co. on Earl Smallshaw's model railroad? I seem the recall the slogan on the side of the building was, "If it's a Good Chair, it's a Miracle". Anyway, our church recently ordered some high quality, industrial strength, outside benches from a company, you guessed it: The Miracle Chair Company! I pay the bills at the church and I chuckled when I saw the invoice as it brought back memories.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/25/17 22:27
Author: Larry020

I remember that photo.  It was in the middle of a city scene that was featured on the front cover of MR.

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 11/26/17 10:38
Author: cabman

I think it's funny how America's sense of humor has changed over the years. Young people don't get a chuckle out of puns, play on words etc such as previous posts have mentioned and old people still think are funny. Now it has to be vulgar, sexist or referring to a movie none of us would think of watching. I think we can thank the social network and stand up "comedians" for the change in humor whether you like it or not.

Date: 11/26/17 15:26
Author: Clarence

I remember a 60's vintage MR/RMC magazine article about scratch building Phartz and Howe sauerkraut factory. I was 10 or so at the time and when I decoded it I thought it was the funniest thing ever :)
Clarence G

Date: 11/27/17 15:20
Author: Matt_Gidley

Yes, the Miracle Chair Company was the first that popped into my head. George Sellios has the Y.B. Fardy Corp - makers of gastorex- and also the gigantic I.M. Boren building.

Date: 11/27/17 19:26
Author: pullmanboss

I think the Dodd Dam name was Frank Ellison's, and I do remember the letters of complaint. Frank was a pioneering O scaler who used punny names most prolifically. Two I remember are Antsinna Pants Company and Spot Cash Wholesale Grocer.

Tom M.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds