Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Genesis motor noise

Date: 12/05/17 21:25
Athearn Genesis motor noise
Author: dmaffei

Has anyone found a fix for the motor noise from the Roco motor used in the Genesis line. I called Athearn and they knew nothing about it. It is not a driveline noise but appears to be brush noise , normally worse in one direction at low speeds. I tried removing the brushes and cleaning lightly sanding them , but no change . If you have a sound engine this noise is masked by the speaker. My guess is 15% percent of the Athearn Genesis engines I have this problem.

Date: 12/06/17 08:53
Re: Athearn Genesis motor noise
Author: rschonfelder

Dave,
What makes you think that the Genesis motors are from Roco? This is the first that I've heard of that statement.

My other question is if your 15% of locos are in consecutive release order. All importers have no direct control over the sub-contractors which their manufacturer engages for their supply. This could be a change of supplier issue.

Rick

Date: 12/06/17 12:30
Author: ESPEE5318

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> What makes you think that the Genesis motors are
> from Roco?

The part where it says Roco right on the motor.

The very first Genesis stuff (SD70 series) used Buhler motors then they went to the Roco, I assume they are still using it. They are "OK" but not spectacular................Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/17 12:39 by ESPEE5318.

Date: 12/06/17 12:36
Author: pmack

My first Genesis had the issue which I isolated to the brushes. I ended up damaging one of the wires to the coils on the armature and replaced the motor with one from an old ConCor SD35 frame I had laying around. I used the new brushes though since the motors were the same. That cured it and it ran great for years. Now, like several others, it makes gear noise in the trucks that sounds like the wheels vibrating against the railhead but I haven't figured it out yet.

Blue box locos often have brush noise, usually I hear it as a chirping sound, usually worse in one direction or another. I think because the brushes fit loosely into the holder unlike lots of other motors where the brushes are on a sprung arm. Open frame Pittmans and Kato for example.

Date: 12/06/17 22:58
Author: Ozolian

I feel your pain! My latest genesis models have the same motor but it does not say roco on the side of the motor. I have had limited success with lubricating the brushes an commutator with conductive lube and running the model at various speeds in both directions. Annoying to spend big bucks on a beautiful model with sound and hear the damn motor!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/17 00:15
Author: dmaffei

I have also tried using conductive oil sparingly on the motor brushes with limited success. I have also re powered some engines with a Kato motor. You should not have this problem on the Genesis line but it is there. The problem spans many different models over many years.
I was hoping someone has found a solution other than re powering with a different motor.

Date: 12/07/17 05:25
Author: MOAR-ISO

This:

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I have also re powered some engines with a Kato motor.
You should not have this problem on the Genesis line but it is there.

I'm still waiting on the Genesis/Intermountain/ScaleTrains/MTH Fanboys to come over and OPERATE trains on my RR. There is a big difference between running 25-30 car trains up and down 3% grades than running them around an 18' radius curves on a 4x8 in your Mom's basement. Those new fan dangled trains with ESU LokSound may look pretty...but my 30 year old KATO locomotives just keep on silently running and pulling trains.

Now if I could just find a solution for Digitrax Duplex...

MOAR-ISO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds