Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > Help With Valuation of Lionel Trains Lost to a Fire

Date: 12/06/17 17:19
Help With Valuation of Lionel Trains Lost to a Fire
Author: dgraves

I have a cousin who lost his house in a wild fire. He had 2 Lionel train sets that were destroyed. One was purchased in the early 50's and had 2 silver UP FA units and passenger cars. The second set was purchased around 1955-57. It had a F3 A-B-A set painted green for the Southern RR. It had an operating milk and cattle cars. If anyone has pictures of these sets or the product number that they could share, it would be much appreciated.

Date: 12/06/17 17:49
Re: Help With Valuation of Lionel Trains Lost to a Fire
Author: Streamliner

The U.P. Diesel set was most likely the 2023, with both the powered & dummy A units carrying the same number. The Southern F3 A-B-A set would be 2356P, 2356C & 2356T. You can check eBay for “2023,” and “2356.” Values vary tremendously, based on condition and whether nice original boxes are included. For example, a nice 2356 A-B-A set in decent, used condition, without the boxes, might go for $300.00, while the same thing, in nice, complete, original boxes might bring over $1,000.00. Brand new, never run, in perfect boxes, might bring $3,500.00 or even more. For photos, simply google “Lionel 2023” and “Lionel 2356.”

Good luck,

Allen Drucker

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/17 18:07 by Streamliner.

Date: 12/07/17 04:57
Author: HB90MACH

Those at classic toy trains can help. They could give a good idea of value. Also look for the Greenburgs Guide to postwar lionel trains. For a rough idea of pricing.
Wolfie

Date: 12/07/17 10:51
Author: Southern-Pacific-fan

I lost several pinball machines and other coin-op games in a fire several years ago,
I located Ebay auctions similar to the lost items, printed out the pages and submitted them, got paid that value

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds