Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Fireproofing and storm proofing slide and model RR collections

Date: 12/08/17 21:45
Fireproofing and storm proofing slide and model RR collections
Author: brc600

I am in the Midwest but I am sure all modelers have these worries. Should I buy a gun safe or something else metal and fireproof? Ideas? Thanks! TIM

Date: 12/08/17 22:42
Re: Fireproofing and storm proofing slide and model RR collection
Author: Larry020

A safe may have a fire rating as to high long it can withstand a "normal" fire.  A normal fire refers to after a smoke alarm goes off, you call 911, and the fire is out before the news crew shows up.  

The recent fires from Northern California and the current fires in Southern California have shown us that anything metal in the house ends up looking like a pile of goo in the dirt where the house use to be.  I've yet to see (on the news) an intact gun safe amid the ruins. 

I think in order to be "fire proof", one must digitize and store offsite.  Offsite is not your neighbor.  Offsite could be a relative a thousand miles away, and don't forget to offer to do the same for all of their important family photos.  

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 12/08/17 22:44
Author: railwaybaron

There are fireproof four-draw file cabinets used by professional photographers. But negatives/slides I rather think would melt at fire temperatures.

Date: 12/09/17 05:56
Author: toledopatch

If you have an old refrigerator available, that works as an insulated cabinet against a conventional house fire. A California-like firestorm is unlikely here unless a large aircraft is involved.

Date: 12/09/17 08:13
Author: CPRR

The only thing I can think of is stashing you negatives in a bank vault, safe deposit box. Pain to go get them, but protected. You also could build a vault at home with concrete or cinder blocks. The door would have to be made out of either thick metal, or layers of cement board.

As one who lives in SoCal, and had experience with brush fires, when the wind is at 40-60 mph driving a fire, there is no way in hell you can stop it. Once the house catches, and in a windy location, it turns into a blow torch, melting everything.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/09/17 10:28
Author: wabash2800

I did that some years ago when I had purchased a valuable slide collection taken by a coworker's father. The slides were in metal slide boxes and I stored them in my local bank's safe deposit box vault. The cost to rent was very inexpensive (and a business expense). When I needed a few slides to make professional grade negatives, I'd pay a visit to the bank. (I sold prints from this collection that was mostly taken in the 1950s). If you think this was silly, I eventually sold the slide collection with the professional grade negs for 8,000 dollars...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only thing I can think of is stashing you
> negatives in a bank vault, safe deposit box. Pain
> to go get them, but protected.

Date: 12/10/17 10:32
Author: ts1457

One warning about bank vaults. They are likely not water tight. Make sure that bank is not in a flood plain.

I was living in Roanoke VA during the 500 year flood in 1985. The largest bank had its vault in the basement. Things like prized stamp collections were ruined. My box was above the waterline in the first floor vault in the bank across the street.

I guess basement vaults should be avoided regardless of whether they are in a flood plain or not. If you have a fire, you probably will end up with a flooded basement.

Date: 12/10/17 10:52
Author: garr

My sister's home burned in the Gatlinburg fires in November of 2016. The silver coins in her fireproof safe were molten. I belive a couple of diamonds were the only intact survivors, and both were discolored. Digital backup in at least a couple of locations is the only is the only safe method for the photos. Don't believe there is any cost effective, fail safe option for the model trains.

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/17 10:52 by garr.

Date: 12/11/17 15:25
Author: loopy7764

Replace your roofing, siding (if applicable), drywall, and flooring with asbestos products.
If possible, build a watertight subterranean lair.
Or try a safe deposit box.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds