Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > Modern Caboose

Date: 01/18/18 01:00
Modern Caboose
Author: BigDave

I was watching the recent "Hide the Helix" videos by santafedan, and noted a modern train with a caboose, which made me think... How would the caboose have evolved in style and function had the FRED NOT come along? What would a modern caboose look like? Because anyone who now models 'present day, but with cabooses' has to run with models that are, at LEAST, 30 years old or older. Would the caboose still be a separate car, or a container type unit, added to the last platform? Any thoughts?

Date: 01/18/18 07:03
Re: Modern Caboose
Author: gandydancer4

I have wondered the same thing, Dave. I think it would have evolved into two separate forms. One looking looking like a DPU unit. Crews could easily ride in a DPU while watching for problems from the back of the train. The other I would envision as basically a pushing sled. The description being a basic think steel plate with only 2 axles (one at each end) and continuing the "outhouse on a flat car" concept. This caboose type being used for local work or on longer trains being placed in the middle of a train so crews can watch the front and the back of the train at the same time. Too bad automation has killed the caboose.

Date: 01/18/18 07:08
Author: VunderBob

I envision a 20' container-like structure on a purpose built flat car, externally looking like a stretched transfer caboose. There would be no outright bunks inside because the 'boose would not act as a bunk car, but may have a bench for medical emergency use.

-Modular electrical generator
-Heating/ AC unit
-Computer terminal for car management purposes
-Modern radio
-Kevlar lined walls
-bullet resistant windows
-fire suppression system
-FRED-like feedback system for the front end
-Galley kitchen and creature comforts.

This is obviously an over the road unit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/18 07:10 by VunderBob.

Date: 01/18/18 10:20
Author: CPR_4000

I think VunderBob is on the right track. Some of the MoPac's last road cabooses looked like glorified transfer hacks:
http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/other/cab_behni/mp13718_behni_b.jpg

Date: 01/18/18 10:46
Author: PHall

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think VunderBob is on the right track. Some of
> the MoPac's last road cabooses looked like
> glorified transfer hacks:
> http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/other/cab_b
> ehni/mp13718_behni_b.jpg

The MoPac cabs and the UP CA-10/11 cars.

Date: 01/18/18 11:45
Author: rnb3

PHall Wrote:

> The MoPac cabs and the UP CA-10/11 cars.

...and the L&N, and SP #1!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 01/18/18 12:24
Author: PHall

rnb3 Wrote:
> PHall Wrote:
>
> > The MoPac cabs and the UP CA-10/11 cars.
>
>
> ...and the L&N, and SP #1!

And whatever else you can come up with using the Bluford Shops kits and some scratchbashing skills.

Date: 01/18/18 22:55
Author: navarch2

BigDave Wrote:
> I was watching the recent "Hide the Helix" videos
> by santafedan, and noted a modern train with a
> caboose, which made me think... How would the
> caboose have evolved in style and function had the
> FRED NOT come along? What would a modern caboose
> look like? Because anyone who now models 'present
> day, but with cabooses' has to run with models
> that are, at LEAST, 30 years old or older. Would
> the caboose still be a separate car, or a
> container type unit, added to the last platform?
> Any thoughts?

I brought back cabooses for the 20XX Penn Central from the day I first conceived the layout. Same issue - what do I do for modern cabooses? I settled on International Wide Vision and narrow cupola cabooses,by Atlas and Athearn, the International bay window caboose by Walthers, and two Canadian models - the CN Pointe st. Charles Design by True Line, the CP rail Angus caboose from Rapido and the PC N8 by Bowser. Plus all manner of "previous" Penn Central cabooses, the assumption being that cabooses never totALLY disappeared in the first place.

I did do an all-new concept design in 3D with the idea of having the shells made for me by Shapeways but the model is not yet at a level where I want to act on that.

Bob

Date: 01/18/18 23:28
Author: BigDave

navarch2 Wrote:
>
> I did do an all-new concept design in 3D with the
> idea of having the shells made for me by Shapeways
> but the model is not yet at a level where I want
> to act on that.

I'd like to see that when it's ready!

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

Date: 01/19/18 09:57
Author: grahamline

Given higher train speeds on TOFC and COFC trains, I'd expect an improved truck under any contemporary caboose to improve the ride and tracking. Something like the  outside swing hanger trucks under UP's CA10, instead of Bettendorfs with leaf springs. There would also be an array of rooftop antennae for telemetry, GPS, and radio, some form of air conditioning, and FRA windows. Body would be similar to the CA-11/12, with a little more working room than the MP cabs.  Maybe some nice air-cushioned Recaro seats for the bay windows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/18 09:59 by grahamline.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds