Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Model Railroading > Removing DCC.

Date: 02/16/18 08:19
Removing DCC.
Author: 4489

Hello;

I have acquired two locomotives that are DCC. My other locomotives are non-DCC.

Would there be an issue if I just removed the decoders, or is there something else that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Date: 02/16/18 08:35
Re: Removing DCC.
Author: NSDTK

Going to have to restore the wiring for DC operation, If they are locomotives that have built in plugs you should be able to get jumpers or hopefully they sent the jumpers with them to restore them for DC

Date: 02/16/18 10:01
Author: Hartington

Some DCC equipped locos work with DC out of the box with no mods. Others require a bit changed in the DCC chip by someone with a DCC setup. Still more will work if you change the DCC chip for a blanking plug in the holes where the DCC chip is plugged in. Older locos that have had the DCC chip "hard wired" may work on DC but may need rewiring.

It also depends on what you want from you locos. If the DCC chip does sound and you don't want sound you might be able to change a bit in the chip by someone with a DCC setup.

My view, as you might have guessed, is that there is no absolute answer and lots of "maybes".

Date: 02/16/18 10:14
Author: LiveWire2

Unless they are completely custom, you'd be better off trading for someone with a DC version, and you ought to be able to get a couple freight cars thrown in, too.

Date: 02/16/18 10:27
Author: tmurray

To remove it completely depends upon the brand/type of locomotive, as far as the work involved. But, yes, as others have said, it will work.

Date: 02/16/18 15:02
Author: hartrick24

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello;
>
> I have acquired two locomotives that are DCC. My
> other locomotives are non-DCC.
>
> Would there be an issue if I just removed the
> decoders, or is there something else that needs to
> be done?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just wondering who is the manufacturer is?

Steve H

Date: 02/16/18 15:22
Author: fbe

The easiest way is to remove the motherboard and DCC decoder and connect the truck wires to the motor terminals and you are ready to go. You loose your headlights and would have to rebuild them to match the DC units you already have.

The problem with running a DCC unit with DC units is the lighting circuits in the DCC units mean it will take 7-8 volts of track power before the unit moves. If they are coupled to DC units with incandescent lights the DC units will move at 2 volts so the units will buck while trying to get moving. If the DC units have constant intensity light circuits they may not start until there is 4-6 track voltage.

It is all about what you are comfortable with and if you have a friend with a DCC set up who can program the DCC models if needed.

Date: 02/18/18 10:05
Author: Larry020

As others have stated, you left a lot of unanswered questions.

This website explains how to install decoders in HO. They also have lists of other scales. https://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/HO_Search/search.html

See if your engines are on the list. Study the photos and see if you can reverse engineer what was done to your engines. If the decoder is simply plugged in, you unplug it and reinstall the dummy plug.

As someone else stated, if the original parts were not included, you may have a long haul ahead of you trying to find a stock dc lighting board for a loco that is long out of production. You may need to do a lot of soldering.

I agree that trading them may be in your future.

⅂ɐɹɹʎ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds